Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2007, 04:54 AM

Default Re: FT Stars $150K Sweat Davidross

I wish I could spike a set on an all in for once.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:51 AM

since when do old dudes 4bet shove with less than QQ [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-12-2007, 12:18 PM

so how did he do?
Old 07-12-2007, 12:53 PM

Old 07-12-2007, 01:06 PM

nice run anyways david.

(huge david ross fanboi since 2004)
Old 07-12-2007, 02:54 PM

Default Thanks for the sweat

It's always nice to have someone rooting for you. Last night was a much needed relief. I almost made a post yesterday titled "Playing NL cash games seem to be ruining my tournament game". I had gone 36 straight Stars tournaments without a cash and 42 tournaments since my last cash over $1K (and that was a $1400 cash in a $1K buy in. Since Monte Carlo I have just plain run bad.

I was down to $1600 in my Stars account and without Neteller reloading is such a hassle. I almost didn't enter because the $320 was such a big piece of my remaining roll. But I'm sure glad I did. When your hands hold up tournaments seem so easy. I got off to a good start, getting AA and KK early plus flopping a set and getting paid at least something on all of them. I was over 10K when the average was still 3K and stayed in the top 40 for most of the first 2 hours. Went card dead and took some hits as the bubble approached though and with 90 getting paid I was in the mind set to make sure I cashed first (terrible what bankroll pressure does to you). Of course with around 105 left I pick up KK behind the chip leaders raise. I can't tell you how many times I have bubbled in the last 2 months with premium hands. I considered folding for about half a second then pushed. He insta-called with AQ and unbelievably no A came.

It was just one of those nights that every time I'd get low I found the big hand at the right time. I lost a number of races when I was the larger stack, but always came back right after it. My luckiest hand came with around 60 or 70 left. I was down to just over 10 BB's, and pushed with 44. I get called by the guy onb my left and then the button pushed a monster stack, forcing the cold caller out. He has AK, and with the board coming QJxxx I can't imagine I would have survived without the protection.

With 11 left, the two chip leaders played an all-in pot that I couldn't believe. They had both been trying to be table captain (remember we're 6 handed now), But after a raise and call pre-flop the big stack bets teh flop of A K T and gets raised. He pushes and gets insta-called.He has AQ and the 2nd stack has QJ. SO the big stack has less than a BB left and My 8th position moves up to 7 and a few hands later I'm at my first final table in months(on stars, I'm actually running quite well at UB).

I was 7th or 8th when we made the final table and was just looking to move up a little. Lucky for me the giant stack was on my right and as he slowly gobbled up everyone else I just stayed out of his way. I didn'traise any pots specculatively, but I re-raised a lot when I thought people were making too many raises and built my stack nicely.

I never got it in bad until we were 3 handed, my 66 vs KK hand where I flopped my set. But the poker gods made up for that almost right away. After all night of my good hands holding up I had to let TT, and QQ go after terrible flops/action. My last hand was AJ vs AT but the TTx flop killed me.

The post I wanted to make yesterday was regarding the effect my ring game play seems to have had on my tournament results. I have had pretty good tournament results over the last few years playing very simple tight ABC poker. I was a limit player and didn't really get the subtelties of NL play so I played to survive as long as possible, then play big move poker to negate my post flop disadvantages. THen last fall I madee the switch from limit to NL ring games and almost right away had my best run of tournament results ever. I started playing more pots, accumulating more chips early allowing me to get deeper into the tournaments. From November to April I ran real good including nice cashes in Atlantis and Monaco. THe 2 hands that launched me in those tournaments were T6s and A4s, 2 hands I would never have played a year ago. Then a funny thing happened, it all stopped working. I think I overdid it, playing too many hands too far, both in ring games and tournaments. I stopped winning at both. I found myself short or out of tournaments in the first 30 minutes over and over again, a very new experience for me.

I ran so bad in ring games that I moved down in limits again, and that helped almost right away. THe games were less aggressive, allowing me to play post flop a lot more and get comfortable again. I FT'd twice at UB last week, then last night's break through at Stars. I tend to run in streaks so here's hoping I'm back on the good trail again.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:12 PM

Default Re: Thanks for the sweat

nice tr. well played. gg.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Then a funny thing happened, it all stopped working

[/ QUOTE ]

Often when that happens to me I'm not playing these "speculative" hands in the right position.....generally the last 3.

Great report David, nice to see you do well sir.

Cheers,
Woodguy
Old 07-12-2007, 04:58 PM

David Ross fan here also, wondering where/ how ya been since your Monte Carlo tr. Hope this is a good sign for you, also.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was down to $1600 in my Stars account and without Neteller reloading is such a hassle.

[/ QUOTE ]

this might be a trend. I dipped down under $2000 at pokerstars for the first time in years tonight, then won the $109 20k. Maybe we just need to bleed our accounts more often. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

congrates Dave. considering you never really had chips, 3rd was pretty nice.