Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2007, 03:09 AM

Default Re: Ive become a tournament donkey!

Check 4th and see what develops, lots of lows out there if you can peel cheap by closing the action you could be all set on 5th.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold third because it's going to be pretty much impossible to play well, the dead 6 just makes me fold faster.

[/ QUOTE ]

getting 10:1 essentially closing the action I'm always calling here. Dont get me wrong, I hear what you are saying, but the pot is too large to fold even though I'm playing for only 1/2 of the pot, remember the pot will likely be huge on later streets as well making it a worthy 1/2 of the pot to fight for.

PS - I would check 4th street if I played the hand again.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:00 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a tournament with lots of the opponents are limping in with odd holdings. I am essentially closing the action, the A before me doesn't matter at that point because the pot is so large - provided I play well post flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

For me, "lots of opponents limping in with odd holdings" describes a low limit cash game more than a tourney (unless very low limit too) but your mileage here may vary.

I realize you are likely closing the action on 3rd but this is a trouble hand especially with one of your 2 pair cards dead. I don't understand what you mean that the Ace doesn't matter - I am being serious when I ask that you explain that to me. Yes they probably would have raised if it was split aces but if the ace is a pair with an ace kicker or a 3 low with the ace you wish they weren't in there in case you don't improve much or they hang on and do improve for high while also drawing to the low half. The pot is 1.36 small bets before your call - hardly large, though offering decent odds. I guess you are getting about 5 or 6 to one to hit a king which would be great but transparent, or maybe one of two 6's which would be a likely river ticket to try for half the pot but might just lose you a large pot with all that opposition. Zee talks about judging how many are likely coming when deciding about whether to play hands like this. In this case it is laid out before you.

It is only a bring-in to try and hit a monster but it is often not that simple. On 4th, yes you want it heads-up. However, I don't think betting and expecting the bring-in to raise behind you when they happen to hit a baby is playing well after the flop. And just how did you get to that messy spot?

Patty

Oops, I was using the 3rd street small bet tally on the hand converter. Antes equal 128, 5 total bring-ins @24 before your action. You are getting 10 or 11 to one not 5 or 6 to one to limp. Doesn't change much for me since the problem decisions are later.