Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2007, 02:25 PM

Default Re: small pkt pairs on B or in CO against SB 3-ball

[ QUOTE ]
Worth noting that you are essentially committing yourself for SD here by capping pf vs. a SB 3-better raiser. I think if you have a taggish image, you are actually reducing your fold equity by capping, because if villain is thinking, he knows that you know that his SB 3-ball range is big, so your capping range is wider than usual. And now the pot is that much bigger, so he's obviously going to contest it more tenaciously.

Basically, with the cap you are going for the parlay of his 3b being at the bottom of his range and the flop missing him completely. I think I prefer to play slightly passively, perhaps FSDR on the turn on non-terribly threatening boards, in this spot as a 28/20 guy is very capable of 3-barreling K hi here.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I start calling down against guys that might 3-barrel K-high, two bad things happen. 1) I have to start calling down a lot on non-threatening boards, of which there aren't too many since this guys 3-ball range is big. Thus he can easily take me to value town for three streets with just about any pair.
2) If he is bluffing into me I'm giving him a chance to hit his 6+ outs, whereas I might fold him out on the flop if he thinks there is a good chance his KQ,KJ, QJ type hand is dominated. Plus on high card flops I can easily fold out other pkt pairs that c-bet into me and fold me out on the flop.

I guess I look at it this way....

When you raise from late position with 22 or 33 getting 3-bet out of the SB from a decent player pretty much sucks. But if you are going to play it (which you certainly are at this point) you should make it as easy on yourself, and as difficult on your opponent as possible.

I feel like capping does that for me.

But please guys keep the comments coming. I could be totally wrong on this stuff, and I obviously have a lot to learn about SH play.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:50 PM

Default Re: small pkt pairs on B or in CO against SB 3-ball

[ QUOTE ]

2) If he is bluffing into me I'm giving him a chance to hit his 6+ outs, whereas I might fold him out on the flop if he thinks there is a good chance his KQ,KJ, QJ type hand is dominated.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have much more FE on the turn than on the flop in this spot.