Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2007, 03:21 PM

Default Re: Getting desperate/ fancy to soon?

I used to push ATC in hand 1, basically playing the harrington red zone strategy, but have had to alter my thinking somewhat due to the willingness of villains to call shorties really light. However thats not to say its wrong to shove here, your practically out anyway, so the old thinking of why not take a shot at doubling up against a couple of random hands while you still have enough to make a double up worthwhile, and your first in the pot, still holds true in my game and i kinda like it.

However as I said, lately ive just tightened up a little, and in this case id probably have folded and waited till the next time i was first to open a pot (before the blinds come round again) and shoved there instead. Your hand then is likely to be better than the one you hold now, even if its just marginally, that higher card can make all the difference.

2 as said is a no brainer really, and 3, mmm, as before, you might aswell mate, it all really depends for me on whether your gonna get that first in vigourish again, if the tables been generally aggressive you might not get that chance again before the blinds come through and destroy you, and its almost more important than your cards. Yes your probably going to get called by the small blind (possibly with a worse holding than your own), but the BB doesnt have to get involved at all, and if he does he doesnt have to have us killed neccessarily. I might take a shot there at trebling through.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would say top 25% of hands. This is my first shove at the table and first shove anyone has had preflop. I realize his large stack might induce some loose calls, but i havent seen anyone call loose preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

My opinion of hand one is like half of that...10-12%, at least that's what they should be. The risk/reward for those guys against you just doesn't add up.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would say top 25% of hands. This is my first shove at the table and first shove anyone has had preflop. I realize his large stack might induce some loose calls, but i havent seen anyone call loose preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]
My opinion of hand one is like half of that...10-12%, at least that's what they should be. The risk/reward for those guys against you just doesn't add up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I think this is pretty true. I was basing my decision on the amount of people to shove through and I kinda disregarded the stack sizes. The being crippled affect really tightens people up. I still think in example 3 a push is ok but I understand your reasoning for not making it better than #1.