Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2007, 09:35 AM

Default Re: You win .... oh, wait, no you don\'t

You win because your poker hand was better than his.

You weren't conceding the pot, you just assumed you were beaten. The cards proved you wrong and are the only statement that matters at showdown.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:36 PM

From Robert's Rules of Poker:
"2. Cards speak (cards read for themselves). The dealer assists in reading hands, but players are responsible for holding onto their cards until the winner is declared. Although verbal declarations as to the contents of a hand are not binding, deliberately miscalling a hand with the intent of causing another player to discard a winning hand is unethical and may result in forfeiture of the pot. (For more information on miscalling a hand see “Section 11 - Lowball,” Rule 15 and Rule 16.)"

You win.

Make sure everybody in your home game studies, understands and acknowledges the rules that are determined, in order to prevent confrontations like this.
[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 07-10-2007, 02:44 PM

Gay
Old 07-10-2007, 03:53 PM

its yours, cards speak.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:08 PM

This should be filed in the disturbingly large bin titled: "I tried to win a pot I didn't deserve".

This bin is located right next to another, much larger and equally disturbing bin called: "The showdown is the best place to invent new rules."
Old 07-11-2007, 01:52 AM

There was a club in NYC that used to have a rule where if you said "you win", it was the same as mucking your hand. Personally, I think this was the worst rule ever, and of course it is completely non-standard.

In the future, though, just say what you have and table your hand. You accidentally slow rolled him, which is rude. It was unintentional, so he shouldn't get mad. Just frustrated.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This should be filed in the disturbingly large bin titled: "I tried to win a pot I didn't deserve".

[/ QUOTE ]

Done.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Done.

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL, that is a disturbing large bin alright.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

This bin is located right next to another, much larger and equally disturbing bin called: "The showdown is the best place to invent new rules."

[/ QUOTE ]

Oddly enough, the opponent did not try to win a pot he didn't deserve, apparently he just wanted his river call back, which is a pretty strange rule to try and invent.

--Zetack
Old 07-12-2007, 09:53 PM

What I always do when someone says something like "you win" after calling them is asking what they have.

That's the difference between a decent player and a bad one. Players who are at least decent understand that you can often pay to see another guys hand, and any time you do make a call, you WANT to see the other guy's hand. If you think you're the favorite and you call, you're asking to see a hand. If you think you're a favorite and you raise, you want to win the pot. Though there are exceptions for when you call due to unsureness (flopping bottom trips and turning a full house).

Just remember that he was entitled to wait for the proper showdown, and that he showed his hand out of turn and got boned for it.