Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 05:38 PM

Default Re: Stud Hi Bankroll Question

Those of you multitabling - do you use software to track upcards, and if not, how the hell do you remember upcards on multiple tables? I can't even 2 table stud games because it's only a matter of time before I end up in a hand in both games at the same time, and I'll completely butcher both of them.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:09 PM

I would never use software to remember up cards. Basically, I fold marginal hands if I'm already playing one on a table, and when I do end up playing two hands at the same time I pick one to play sub-optimally (in other words, I don't pay attention to the upcards beyond an initial scan to see how live my hand is).

Turns out, though, that most of the time I can give full attention to the most important hands.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:19 PM

I only remember the cards that really matter. I don't play a lot of marginal hands. If the games were tougher, I definitely couldn't play as many tables, but they're generally very soft. I prefer to 4-table HORSE (when there's 4 HORSE games going) because 40% of the time there's no upcards to remember.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:31 PM

Multi-or not I still don't think 1/2 alot of pros are living off of. If you re confident enough to quit your job to survive on your poker income you should be confident enough to play a higher level.

My point to the original question was that don't think it terms of bankrolls at that level, and having so many buy-ins. I think they were asking what to buy in for and got in confused with bankroll. Just buy in for what you can, and see.

Personal example I played last year online 1/2, .50/1 had the spreadsheats everything, ok. Starting with for 1/2 50 a buy in and 300 bankroll (6 buy-ins). I turned a profit overall 2BB an hour avg, but it was taking forever. In eight weeks I made just under 300 (20 hour weeks-I work another job)

May of this year I said fxch it and took three to the 5/10 table at foxwoods. Now i knew I had no "bankroll" just one buy in, but I also knew if I lost in a month I could be back up there anyway. Well I won, and I won the next eight sessions, then I lost the next two, but I had made 900 so I could afford to lose the next two. Kept playing and haven't stopped since.

My advise is play the lower limit to get the mechanix and strategy and your overall craft better. I still have 50 in ultimate bet and play micro .05/.10 levels. I do this so that I know that I will always be playing, never really broke and can work out kinks or keep the game fresh in my mind. But my real poker account, that I keep track of is 5/10 live. By the end of the summer I should have close to 3000 and hopefull play 10/20. Because that really should be our goals to play seriously. Don't touch the money and get to a point where you have a "bankroll" for high levels and maybe play professionally and lucratively. I don't play to play poker for a living and only make 500 a week.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because that really should be our goals to play seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]
My goals are
1. Have Fun
2. Don't be a losing player
3. Learn to play the games well and make good decisions.
4. Never have to add to my poker bankroll.

Perhaps these goals keep me playing for insignificant stakes for too long, but I'm having fun, have bought myself a couple of nice things, and can take pride in the increases I see/have seen in my bankroll over time.

I feel that maintaining a bankroll helps me with my goals, and actually doing so has helped me understand the game and deal with variance better.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Multi-or not I still don't think 1/2 alot of pros are living off of. If you re confident enough to quit your job to survive on your poker income you should be confident enough to play a higher level.

[/ QUOTE ]

As recently as a year ago, there was so much free bonus money floating around online that making $15-$25 per table hour at 1/2 was very reasonable. Sadly that doesn't seem to be true anymore. Even as recently as this spring you probably could have gotten $8/hr or so from Bodog. That makes a huge difference.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Assuming someone could 3 table 1/2 and get 2bbs per hour they could make close to $500 a week if they played for 40 hours (does anyone do more than 3 tables of Stud- I can't imagine it myself, but there are always people who push the limits in this game called poker).

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to play 2 tables of 30/60 stud hi 2 tables of 30/60 hi/low. The key to multitabling stud online IMO is to sit out on the other 3 tables as soon as you pick up a playable hand on the 4th table. This way, the only time that you are truly playing 4 tables at once is when you are just folding on all tables (or maybe ante stealing). Also, I can 6 table razz, without any sitting out, because the strategy is so simple (and because I am playing low limits where I don't really need to concentrate too much on my opponents).
Old 07-19-2007, 10:31 PM

Sitting out on multiple tables so that you can "concentrate" on one is incredibly obnoxious.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sitting out on multiple tables so that you can "concentrate" on one is incredibly obnoxious.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think "obnoxious" is not strong enough a word.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:14 AM

I think 1/2 would be an awful grind, but if you play 40h/week of 2/4 you can make a living out of rakeback alone. But i think the skill level at 2/4 is quite a bit higher than on 1/2, at least it was in hold'em where i encountered really bad tables for the first time on 2/4.