Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2007, 03:38 PM

Default Re: Moving back in tees

I think using colors to signify which tee you play from can lead to misunderstanding. Some places the golds are all the way back, but at my course they are the senior tees. So are the blues the championship tee or the second from the back? I wouldn't reccomend moving all the way back until you're under a 10 handicap, if the blues are second from the back, aka the mens tee, I'd say move to them once you can shoot in the 90's consistently.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Low 80s

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. If you aren't a 10 or less, play the whites.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think there's anything wrong with playing the blues as a 15 or even an 18, especially if you're the kind of player that hits the ball well but has a poor short game.

It's stupid to play tees where you can hit 4 iron-wedge on every hole.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense, but if your short game is horrible, then hitting a long iron or wood into every green is only going to make ir worse. You're going to be less accurate into the greens and be forced to play more chips and pitches.

If I saw 4 bogey golfers all playing the tips at once, I'm playing through, whether they let me or not.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Low 80s

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. If you aren't a 10 or less, play the whites.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think there's anything wrong with playing the blues as a 15 or even an 18, especially if you're the kind of player that hits the ball well but has a poor short game.

It's stupid to play tees where you can hit 4 iron-wedge on every hole.

[/ QUOTE ]

That can be true and actually somewhat describes my game. But alot of great older courses are not designed for the "must hit 14 drivers a round" type mentality alot of golfers have today.( I mean [censored], I payed $400 for the thing, I'm using this bitch) Even the absolute yardage can be relative based on the layout.

Seems alot of guys our age are overly fixated on distance over score.

Its also obnoxious to play behind the four guys thrashing at everything off the tee and needing to spend 5 minutes in the woods every other hole because they catch one 280 yarder a round and think its weird to only have a wedge in to the green.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not talking about hitting 14 drivers in a round, I'm talking about hitting 4. There's lots of courses where I would or at least could) hit zero drivers playing from the white tees, and with the state of my short game I doubt I'd be able to play to a legit 10 at the moment. My average drive is probably about 260-270 and I hit a decent amount of fairways.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

No offense, but if your short game is horrible, then hitting a long iron or wood into every green is only going to make ir worse. You're going to be less accurate into the greens and be forced to play more chips and pitches.

[/ QUOTE ]
First of all, I'm not talking about hitting long irons and fairway woods into greens; I'm talking about hitting 7 iron instead of sand wedge. I can't even remember the last time I hit a fairway wood into a par 4 that wasn't 15 at Bethpage Black, so that's probably not a concern worth discussing.

Second, there's a big difference between having a problem hitting a pitch shot without skulling/fatting it and not having the touch to get up and down as often as you'd like because you don't practice enough. You seem to be treating everyone as the former.

[ QUOTE ]
If I saw 4 bogey golfers all playing the tips at once, I'm playing through, whether they let me or not.

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay, tough guy.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
First of all, I'm not talking about hitting long irons and fairway woods into greens; I'm talking about hitting 7 iron instead of sand wedge. I can't even remember the last time I hit a fairway wood into a par 4 that wasn't 15 at Bethpage Black, so that's probably not a concern worth discussing.

Second, there's a big difference between having a problem hitting a pitch shot without skulling/fatting it and not having the touch to get up and down as often as you'd like because you don't practice enough. You seem to be treating everyone as the former.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay, tough guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tough guy? You have a bogey golfer from the whites moving back 25-50 yards. Now they're all shooting 100. Four guys shooting 100 from the Back tees should not be there. At all. And if they are, they should be waving everyone through.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay, tough guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tough guy? You have a bogey golfer from the whites moving back 25-50 yards. Now they're all shooting 100. Four guys shooting 100 from the Back tees should not be there. At all. And if they are, they should be waving everyone through.

[/ QUOTE ]
I know people that shoot 100 a lot faster than other guys shoot 80. It's plenty easy to shoot a bad score and not hold anyone up. Play whatever tees you want as long as you don't play slow, simply not being very good doesn't mean you play slow. Obviously you can't get a total novice around in 150 strokes with any reasonable time constraints, but 80 vs 100 is not necessarily an earth shattering difference in time.

I'd love to see you actually play through a group that wasn't letting you.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay, tough guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I know people that shoot 100 a lot faster than other guys shoot 80. It's plenty easy to shoot a bad score and not hold anyone up. Play whatever tees you want as long as you don't play slow, simply not being very good doesn't mean you play slow. Obviously you can't get a total novice around in 150 strokes with any reasonable time constraints, but 80 vs 100 is not necessarily an earth shattering difference in time.

I'd love to see you actually play through a group that wasn't letting you.

[/ QUOTE ]

A 20 shot difference for one guy is one thing. If you've got a pair of guys or, jesus no, a foursome 40 or 80 shots is certainly going to be a large time difference.

I did play through a drunken, possibly lobotomized, foursome that wouldn't let myself and my partner play through. We had to wait on them on three holes and asked on both the second and third holes to play through. They refused saying that they weren't "playin' slow". The backup behind us proved otherwise. We asked again on hole four and the reply was "[censored] off". We waited until they hit their tee shots and with one guy in the rough, three in the woods and both carts in the woods looking for balls (as it had been all round) we teed up and played on through. They barked about it from the woods, but that was it. When we made the turn, we told the ranger that a group was holding everyone up and he said that the other ranger had gone to remove them. So yeah, I'll play through.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:45 PM

IMO there is a big confidence factor in moving back to the blues. Instead of figuring how far you hit the ball or what score you are shooting, what do you think of this?

When you no longer 'dub' any shots. Or maybe when you 'dub' only one or two shots per round. Then you are ready for the blues.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:46 PM

you guys are ignoring the fact that the blues at OP's course may not be the back tees.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you guys are ignoring the fact that the blues at OP's course may not be the back tees.

[/ QUOTE ]
New rule: If anyone ever cites "the blue tees" or anything similar, without a qualifying statement, and it turns out they're not talking about the back tees, that person will be banned.