Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2007, 05:01 PM

Default Re: ** WEEKEND GAME: AtoZ of GREAT DVDs**

Grave of the Fireflies.

Outstanding extra features on this two-disc DVD make renting the second disk essential. They include a great commentary by Roger Ebert, and pieces on the horrific, morally shocking tragedy of the author's own life, which this story is pulled from, as well as interviews with the filmmakers and a couple of historical pieces on what the firebombing of Japan was like and its consequences.

A tremendous animated film that is astoundingly gripping, so much so that it's hard to watch twice. It's completely unnecessary to like anime or even animation at all to like this flick. Extremely highly recommended, as are, again, the bonus features.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:58 PM

High fidelity

this is one of my goto films for whenever I feel like whatching something that I know I will just flat out enjoy. I've always been a fan of Cusack and everything about this film works for me on many different levels
Old 07-07-2007, 06:16 PM

I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Huckabees. This is a true love it or loath it movie, and I totally adore it. I've never been to see a film at the cinema which has completely divided the audience as much as this one - people were either paralysed with laughter or walking out totally bemused.

It's a David O'Russell flick, which pretty much says it all, and features a great cast who all put in pretty solid performances, with Dustin Hoffman and Lily Tomlin particularly standing out in their roles as a pair of 'existential detectives'.

That said, I can understand why many people might not enjoy it, and can't say I've ever come across that many Huckabees fans yet...

[ QUOTE ]
Vivian Jaffe: Why don't you just tell me what your situation is?
Albert Markovski: Look, I'm not really sure I know exactly what you guys do around here, all right?
Vivian Jaffe: Well, we'll investigate and solve your case.
Albert Markovski: How?
Vivian Jaffe: If you start a contact we'll follow you.
Albert Markovski: You'll spy?
Vivian Jaffe: Yes.
Albert Markovski: On me?
Albert Markovski: Will you be spying on me in the bathroom?
Albert Markovski: In the bathroom?
Albert Markovski: Why?
Vivian Jaffe: There's nothing too small. You know when police find the slightest piece of DNA and build a case on it? If we might see you floss or masturbate that could be the key till your entire reality.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-07-2007, 09:13 PM

Can anyone think of a great J movie?
Old 07-07-2007, 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can anyone think of a great J movie?

[/ QUOTE ]

ask and ye shall recieve

Jules et Jim

what a wonderful film this is. Truffaut really starts to move out here and brings us the essence of what young love is. THere really isn't enough that can be said about this film with the three excellent acting performances, especially Jeanne Moreau's performance as cathrine which turned out to be a roll that she ended up having a hard time overcoming in the future as she tried her hardest to be the opposite of Cathrine, though Ebert noted that as much as she tried to think she wasn't Cathrine in real life, that she was much more like that role then she wanted to believe. This is one that everyone needs to own
Old 07-07-2007, 10:45 PM

I was trying to think of a good J movie, but could only think of La Jetee, which nobody knows about, and figuring I was coming up dry otherwise. I was even thinking especially about French films, so now I feel like a doofus for missing Jules and Jim.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was trying to think of a good J movie, but could only think of La Jetee, which nobody knows about, and figuring I was coming up dry otherwise. I was even thinking especially about French films, so now I feel like a doofus for missing Jules and Jim.

[/ QUOTE ]

i almost went with junebug, but then decided to run down to my dvd collection and then saw Jules et Jim. I'm glad I went with this one instead. I was also close to going with J'accuse! too
Old 07-08-2007, 01:07 AM

Old 07-08-2007, 07:00 AM

L is for THE LONE GUNMEN

This quirky little series was a spin-off from the X-Files. It was actually pretty darn good, and well worth watching

Who couldn't love a trio of consipracy nuts investigating conspiracies, each of them a different type of geek/nerd.

One episode in particular, 'Tango de los Pistoleros' has the short dumpy Frohike apparently being the King of the Tango before he hooked up with the Lone Gunmen. Fab episode.

There's a great scene between him and the woman he left behind that goes something like:

(after a huge row where she blames him for leaving)
Her (with scorn): Then why did you come back?
Him: Because...WE MUST TANGO!
Old 07-08-2007, 07:03 PM

M is for Manhattan - by Woody Allen

I haven't seen this movie in years. I actually own it now so hopefully I'll watch it soon. I liked Diane Keaton and Mariel Hemmingway. If I recall correctly, this movie got great reviews.