Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2007, 08:18 PM

Default Re: UK TV Poker - Where did it go????

Do you know anything about the current capitalization of these companies? The point is they have to up front the entire cost, and if they can't sell advertising on the shows they lose money. I think England is just no a key market. I think they are more target expansion markets like asian and European countries that don't have much internet poker. Too expensive to fight over an all ready existing market, more profitable to expand.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:53 PM

my point was more in the way the tv stations that do broadcast poker bravo ,challange ect seem to run 1 series then forget about it for instance they show high stakes poker series 1 then when that ends just fill there allocated poker slots with rubbish re runs of some celeb poker tourney then we get cash poker for a while and it goes around again why not just follow up series 1 with series 2 seeing as we are far behind the states anyway just seems to inconsistnt. And i would imagine there has to be a market for it other wise chanels wouldnt have pacific poker related slots but to be honest i dont know much about it just my opinion and i dont even really watch much poker on tv anyway lol [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-11-2007, 03:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
my point was more in the way the tv stations that do broadcast poker bravo ,challange ect seem to run 1 series then forget about it for instance they show high stakes poker series 1 then when that ends just fill there allocated poker slots with rubbish re runs of some celeb poker tourney then we get cash poker for a while and it goes around again why not just follow up series 1 with series 2 seeing as we are far behind the states anyway just seems to inconsistnt. And i would imagine there has to be a market for it other wise chanels wouldnt have pacific poker related slots but to be honest i dont know much about it just my opinion and i dont even really watch much poker on tv anyway lol [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

This was the basis of my original post.

This time last year, Challenge were running some decent poker shows in prime time.

This evening, for example, they have Catchphrase, Family Fortunes and "Classic" Who Wants to be a Millionaire!!!

Now, these were all popular shows when they were run on the main networks a decade ago, but I struggle to believe that they draw much in the way of viewing figures today, in the current age of multi-hundred-channel fragmented TV that we have in the UK today.

I remain pissed-off!
Old 07-11-2007, 07:01 AM

I think the way these are owned, as time buys, and not syndicated shows, makes it more difficult.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:30 PM

CNBC shows the Pro-Am Equaliser late at night sometimes too. Not sure when though.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:17 AM

WPT 2007 to be shown on challenge TV from the 14th July onwards.