Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2007, 02:29 PM

Default Re: Talking about play while not in the hand...How would you handle th

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Its important to politely point out that its one player to a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, speak up, make your point, then move on.

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on villain's reaction to your complaint. If he apologizes and/or acknowledges the wrongness of his action, then yes, no need to escalate. But here's what happened to me: recently I was in a 1/3 nl game at Caesar's. Player A limps, player B raises, I shove. Player A mucks and start saying to player B: "You've got to call, you've got to call". I politely say "it's one player to a hand", and the d-bag replies "what are you talking about, there's some of my money in the pot".

There's no way in hell I'm going to let anyone diss me like that. I immediately asked for the floor (who acted as a d-bag himself, giving a warning to both of us, but that's another story).
Old 07-08-2007, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
like someone else side, this is 3/6, people constantly comment in hands when they aren't suppose to. nothing really you can do about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure there is. It's one thing to comment on hands afterward, big whoop, but during? I've rarely seen someone who's corrected on that action keep doing it during a session, much less the rest of the table.

b
Old 07-08-2007, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At 3/6? It's often routine for half the table to comment on every street.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not where I play. If they are, you should be saying something.

b
Old 07-08-2007, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

b

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I'm actually finding 1/2NL orders of magnitude worse than 3/6 - 6/12 limit for these shenanigans. Which is frustrating because in limit you might lose a BB or two from some douchebags advice, while in NL you can lose a lot more.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

b

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I'm actually finding 1/2NL orders of magnitude worse than 3/6 - 6/12 limit for these shenanigans. Which is frustrating because in limit you might lose a BB or two from some douchebags advice, while in NL you can lose a lot more.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is many on lower limits, especially like 3-6, may not actually realize the etiquette(sp?) of it as many are new to a cardroom at that level. It doesn't take long to learn this lesson.

b
Old 07-08-2007, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"what are you doing, he probably has the nuts!"

[/ QUOTE ]

This might be a little harsh, but I think said player should be kicked out of the game.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:44 AM

I wouldn't say kicked out maybe some time away from the table. Lost probably a $100 call when I moved in on the turn with AK on a board of J Q 10. Player next to me announces to the table "he must have AK, I think i saw a bit of his card when he got them", followed by insta-muck from the guys I was HU with who was holding QJ it turns out. First word out of my mouth was FLOOR!!
Old 07-09-2007, 02:31 AM

i dont understand how stuff like this can be enforced, and it disconcerts me to a large degree. i mean take op's example, or make your own in an NL game where it can mean a few hundo, and some know-it-all says something to make the guy fold when you have the nuts. it seems fair to me to make the guy who said something pay whatever the bet was. im sure this seems outrageous to a lot of you, but there isnt really any other recourse. warning him doesnt put the hundreds in your stack. its like a penalty-free collusion especially if the two are friends or ones a donkey and the other wants him to have chips.

another hypothetical is say you are in a big pot and the villain goes all in. then your accomplice (but no one knows you are together) who is at the table but not in the hand (or he could even be on the rail for that matter) grabs the villain's cards and flips them over and gives some paltry excuse like, "im drunk and i was dying to know!" what would the floor do? i can think of no fair solution to this problem that would actually be enforced at a card room. they would maybe chop it or give it to one player or the other. the only real solution is to make the guy who ruined the hand pay both players the entire pot. but this would never happen. what the hell. discuss.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why call the floor?

Can't you 'splain it to Lucy yourself?

[/ QUOTE ]

You call the floor because a lot of recreational players will not necessarily accept that it is a "rule" when another player tells them instead of the dealer/floor.

I guess I was the bad guy last week -- I was playing in a 10/20 O8/Stud8 game and sitting next to a player who could never read his hand in O8 (apparently played HE and knew Stud from his home games, but O8 was a challenge). He would often lift the cards so I could see them on the river (when I wasn't in the hand). On one occassion, Mr. Fish called down a far better player and after the other player showed his hand spent about 30 seconds trying to figure out his own and holding the hand up higher and higher (but never putting it down). Eventually, I said something like: "he has you beat both ways" and the player folded his cards face down.

Being O8, the table nits got on my case and I apologized repeatedly -- but of course I only said what I said when he would not win any of the pot and I wanted to see another hand sometime before I went to sleep. Still, I guess I deserved a mild KITN.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:22 PM

That could be interpreted as "Would you like to go do a line?" Better to put your finger to your lips in the future to avoid any embarrassing misunderstandings.