Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2007, 05:04 PM

Default Re: How do you handle a loosing session?

Good catch. You pass the test.

What was this thread about?
Old 07-08-2007, 05:26 PM

loosing
Old 07-10-2007, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have been so used to winning lately that when i do have a loosing session i will get off my table take a deep breath clear my head and walk straight up to the higher limit area and focus on playing my A game to try and win back my losses....

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't do this unless you want to go broke.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:49 PM

umm, i can't handle losing and usually tilt and lose more.

Yes i need to work on my self control. In the midst of a losing streak now. Very tough to even ante up.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How do you handle a loosing session?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tighten up!
Old 07-11-2007, 11:16 AM

Leave, put it behind you, forget about it, keep winning attitude for next session in tact. Everyone has loosing sessions.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:41 AM

I agree with most of the advice in this thread, except the 'put it behind you' one. You *shouldn't* put it behind you and you *must* analyze whether the plays you made had positive expected value (EV) or not.

I had winning sessions in which I played terrible poker, putting in a lot money when behind and then rivering a win against the odds, and I had brilliant sessions where I lost, even though I made neutral EV or +EV plays in every hand I played.

Be brutally honest with yourself. If you played well and got most of the money good, then you did well. You shouldn't bother looking at the final result. If you are putting money with the best hand, but get outdrawn after all the chips are in the middle and the final card is dealt - you don't lose. You play good poker and eventually a winning trend will emerge.

However - if you realize that you are constantly putting money when behind (specifically with second best hand on the river/7th street), call too much, 'gamble' on lucky draws, over-value your hands - then you are making losing plays. If you do not recognize and admit it – you cannot correct your mistakes and you will lose in poker in the long run.

During and after a session, ‘losing’ or ‘winning’ one, I personally reflect on the key hands that I played and try to analyze my play in each hand and each street. I try to determine how much did I really ‘lose’ or ‘win’. If it turns out that I made good plays, I feel great, regardless of result. As should anyone feel IMO. If it turns out that I played poorly I try to correct the errors I made next hand I play.

If you sense that losing cash affects your judgment during the game, you should take a break or quit. A common mistake is to chase loses and this should be avoided. During a losing streak your urge to win or break-even can easily overcome your judgment and cause you to over value your hands (basically – tilt). During this period of time when your judgment is clouded, there is greater probability you will make losing plays and thus increase your loses. This spirals quickly to multiple buy-in chip-spewing.

So – to sum up – for me, handling a losing (but necessarily) session goes like:
1. Examine play, determine whether it’s +EV or not.
2. Control and suppress negative emotions.
3. Repeat.

Final note: Remember that you won’t get ‘lucky’ every time. Sicko down-swings exist and every player, including the most successful ones, encounter them every once in a while.

Hope this helps in any way.

Cheers.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:22 PM

i recently started playing shooter games on my pc. I have a brutal one where u can shoot of limbs and all. God that helps to vent off! Blowing enemies to pieces with a huge machine gun.

I think if u live in the states, driving over over to ur local gun range will help greatly.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:26 PM

Comfort food and or drugs and or Women.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:57 PM

I kill a little puppy.