Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2007, 06:39 PM

Default Re: massive downswing - please help detect leaks

[ QUOTE ]

Teh1337zor:
hand number 9: my logic on the turn was like "nice, my draw just improved, i bet it again". pretty stupid i realize, because it doesn't change much and also there is only one card to come. this is definitively a leak i have to fix.
probably check/fold is the better option.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think 9 is played fine, you get him off a lot of hands, some guys will even fold KQ, AQ here, and TT and smaller obviously folds. Unless he has a boat you have a ton of equity on the turn.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:24 PM

analyzing hands in a vacuum without any reads isnt really rewarding. on the surface the hands you presented looked fine to me but maybe some of the villains are notorious stations? or tight rocks? we dont know so all we can really say is "fine".
as for downswings they can theoretically last forever, usually they dont though and things will turn around soon enough.
people in downswings often use the phrase "i dont trust my plays anymore". its hard playing good poker when getting coolered all over the place, the only thing you can do is be honest to yourself, did i play that hand as i should have? could i have gotten away from my hand at some point?

the real danger about downswings is that you start making changes in your game that are bad for your longterm results. go over a session every day from when you werent running like crap. can you spot any changes in your play? ( except in which way the pot goes at showdown [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] )

just a few thought and suggestions i had on the subject.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:30 PM

also, dropping down in limits and finding your rhythm again might be good for your confidence and bankroll. dont let your ego get in the way of making the best decision at this given moment.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
analyzing hands in a vacuum without any reads isnt really rewarding. on the surface the hands you presented looked fine to me but maybe some of the villains are notorious stations? or tight rocks? we dont know so all we can really say is "fine".

[/ QUOTE ]

true, but if that downswing is not from bad luck, but from bad play, then you will probably even see my mistakes in this "vacuum" because they are so obvious.

[ QUOTE ]
also, dropping down in limits and finding your rhythm again might be good for your confidence and bankroll. dont let your ego get in the way of making the best decision at this given moment.

[/ QUOTE ]

i already dropped down to NL200 (see end of downswing graph). my luck isn't any better so far but it feels much less bad (less money) and is kind of "relaxing" because the aggression level is much lower.

again, thanks everybody for posting!
Old 07-05-2007, 08:59 PM

when looking at hands I assumed everyone was standard tag
Old 07-06-2007, 04:32 PM

To be honest but it seems you have a problem, Over Confidence. You think your [censored] don't stink, and you deserve to win these hands. You made YOUR MIND UP, I GOT THE WINNER!!! I GOT THE WINNER!!!

But your playing a level where your not really comfortable, because I notice that your buying in for the table Min. And you only have enough chips to play to the turn, after that its ALL-IN CITY- FOR YOU. Your Committed.

Hand #1 you flopped a Set- In your head you think this hand is over, forget the flop and the river

Hand #2
Was An Easy Fold, You had $84 dollars in there, Scary Board, He could have had K10 Diamonds Maybe he's a Donkey 78 Diamonds.

3 Flop Bet was too Small, Should have bet 50 Make him suffer. SUFFER

4. Was fine It was only another 281 to call You were committed in a way

5. I would have folded the hand at the turn, somewhere (a pair is a pair, maybe he was playing 78 suited, a pocket 7's

6. is fine for your small stack size, against the massive larger stacks

7. Bad beat is a bad beat
8. Not the right play but not the wrong play either
9. Not the right play but not the wrong play either
Old 07-06-2007, 04:37 PM

Plz post less hands. I will only say the bad hands- assume the other hands are standard or ok.
Hand 3- get it in on turn river paired board and made flush so it's a bit risky for him to even shove a straight here. I woulda just shoved turn with that action.
hand 5- ez fold at least on riv IMO calling turn is pretty bad but it's a minraise and could be bluff that he could definitely give up on riv

All other hands played fine and standard so jus negative variance/bad luck
Old 07-06-2007, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I said to myself "if this is an under 20 buyin ds im not gonna bother to reply" but I still did.

[/ QUOTE ]