Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2007, 08:39 PM

Default Re: Hawai\'i Travel Thread

[ QUOTE ]
I've heard Maui is kinda slow and more for honeymooners/etc, is this mostly true?

I'm going to Oahu(staying near Waikiki in a couple weeks and have a few things planned, anyone have any "must-sees" for me?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oahu is not very different from Miami Beach, getting a unique experience will not happen. Try hopping on a jet to another island.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've heard Maui is kinda slow and more for honeymooners/etc, is this mostly true?

I'm going to Oahu(staying near Waikiki in a couple weeks and have a few things planned, anyone have any "must-sees" for me?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maui is more of the scenic relaxing

Oahu is where all the people and things to do are. As for Oahu must-sees/dos, what are you into doing?
Old 07-06-2007, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How long will you be there?

My main suggestion would be to get out of town and go to Hale'iwa and other spots on the North Shore. Also, going the other way from town is the Pali lookout which has a view that is quite impressive. I think just renting a car and driving around the island is a good strategy for this. If you plan it right and get up early you could see the sun rising from the windward side (not sure as I've never been during that time but I suspect the pali lookout view is nice during sunrise, maybe the sun actually spoils it though) and catch the sunset on the north shore someplace (sunset beach seems appropriate).

While I've never done it, climbing the Stairway to Heaven is something I say I'll do every trip. The view must be amazing as it looks pretty good from the H3 below. Too bad Mrs. L is scared of heights [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

If Reef was back home I'd suggest going with him to his high school as the view from there is second to none IMO.

Also, if you are any sort of history guy or like museums the Bishop Museum is pretty good. That's not usually the kind of thing people want to do there but it's a good museum with a lot of old Hawaiian stuff that you obviously couldn't see in museums elsewhere.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:51 AM

Nice pictures...looks awesome
Old 07-06-2007, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maui has a lot of things to do... Golf, Fish, Hana, Snorkeling...etc.

Oahu, most people will be in waikiki beach area. Lots of food, bars, etc. Take a hike up diamond head if you like that kind of thing. Snorkel at hanauma bay, drive up to the north shore to sunset beach and check out some of the worlds biggest waves. The polynesian cultural center is cool for a slow paced day... kinda interesting and educational. Visit Pearl Harbor... but go early or you will wait in line for too long.

Kauai is very relaxed...I think there is only one nightclub on the whole island.... It is very lush and green... lots of flowers. Not a ton to do, but a great island to see by heliocopter. Also take the river ride up to the fern grotto.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:55 AM

I am partial to the Big Island, North Kohala Coast especially. So much to do. Or so little if you prefer.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:19 AM

My wife and I have been to Maui and Kona and found the books in this series to be extremely helpful. Granted, there's probably a ton of other tourists that have the same book, but we found some pretty awesome beaches that we never would have known existed without the book...especially on the big island.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:28 AM

awesome t.r. post more pics!!
Old 07-06-2007, 03:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If Reef was back home I'd suggest going with him to his high school as the view from there is second to none IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT
(these pics dont do it full justice)

my attempt at putting together a bunch of single pics for a panoramic
Old 07-06-2007, 03:55 AM

Oahu:

Beaches to go to:
Kailua (can rent a kayak and paddle to a bird sanctuary island or down a residential canal)
Lanikai
North Shore (caution sometimes high surf)

Things to Do:
Hanauma Bay
Historic Haleiwa Town
Sunset Beach Park
Waikiki Strip
Waikiki Aquarium
Pearl Harbor memorial
Bishop Museum
Pali Lookout
Jet Skiing / Scuba Diving / Submarine ($$$)
Polynesian Cultural Center (touristy)
Ala Moana / Magic Island + beach

Shopping:
Ala Moana (near Waikiki , $$$)
Pearl Ridge
Windward Mall

Hikes:
Diamond Head
Stairway to Heaven (need to be in very good shape)
Mount Olomana
Mauna Wili Falls (easiest)

Nightlife:
Zanzabar (my fav club located in waikiki trade center)
Pipeline
Dave and Busters
Brew Moon
Rumours (older crowd)

I prob missed some stuff, but that gives you a good idea