Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2007, 04:44 PM

Default Re: Here\'s how terrible the Reds are.

A friend of mine who's a big Reds fan has been telling me for years that Narron has to go.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i'm really hoping that the reds become the new cubs. they're showing signs.

[/ QUOTE ]

1990 vs. 1908

Looooooong way to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol yeah. i was mostly just referring to the fact that they're a national league team with rabid local fans and terrible management/ownership.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A friend of mine who's a big Reds fan has been telling me for years that Narron has to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many years?
2006 was his first full season as the official manager.

Was he immedaitely complaining about him needing to go when Narron was appointed interim-manager on June 20, 2005?

That would be pretty funny.

Cincinnati Enquirer: Reds Fire Miley, Narron named interim-manager.
YTF's Friend: Down with Narron!! He needs to go!!!!!
Old 07-03-2007, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
YTF's Friend: Down with Narron!! He needs to go!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

i lol'd
Old 07-03-2007, 08:04 PM

OK, then it just seems like years. But all his gripes have been right on. Every time a starter would miss a start, and Narron would bring Milton out on three days rest for no reason (it's not like they were in a pennant chase, or anything), I'd get an email from my friend.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't wait to see the Reds at Shea Stadium next weekend. Ordered My Dunn T-shirt last week and my Mr. Red hat arrived today.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe you'll be able to trade that dunn t-shirt for a relief prospect t-shirt in a month!

i like the reds. i root for them to do well, because i like all non-bengal ohio teams to do pretty well. but they're an awful, awful team. the radio guys down here were saying stuff like "this isn't the worst team in baseball on paper, and when that's the case, you have to make a move."

uhhhh, what? this team is not good. they have pieces, and they're probably a 75 win team, not a 60 win team. but this bullpen is atrocious, and it wasn't narron that traded two starters for fungibility.

i worry that attacking krivsky is the right play, though. krivsky's done well. picking up phillips was a good move (i think that was on krivsky's watch), and josh hamilton has worked out sensationally. but that trade was absolutely inexcusable, the sort of mistake that gets a person fired in an industry with immediate accountability.

the bright side of things for reds fans is that there is an awful lot of high impact players in the minor leagues. homer bailey, despite his struggles (and control issues) and jay bruce are blue chippers, while joey votto and drew stubbs both seem quite solid. they have a couple young players in the majors in Hamilton, BP and edwin encarnacion (if they ever stop screwing around with him). the trouble is, there ain't a ton of depth there.

it would make sense for krivsky to blow up this team to a point: trade griffey for a blue chipper, get what you can for dunn and stormy. depth is what this system needs so that the next time somebody gets anxious about the bully, they look down in the system instead of trading two starters for fungibility.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:22 AM

I've been looking at the Reds trade prospects in depth. I just can't see them getting a blue chipper for Griffey and whatever team takes on Dunn is going to be making the worst trade of the trade season. Still, they should be able to add a few good prospects. Since their so thin, it doesn't really matter what position.

I'm usually aggresive in calling for prospects to be in the majors, but Bailey really needs to be in AAA right now.

Bruce looks good, but still needs some work. He's whiffing far too often. He might be ready by the begining of next season, but it could be a rough ride at the begining.

I'm still not sure why Votto isn't the starting 1b.

Johnny Cueto looks like an excellent prospect right now.

Brad Salmon looks like a quadruple-A reliever, which is more than I can say for some of the guys they run out there.

This Carlos Guevara guy looks like he might be worth something. I don't know anything about him, but his stats over the last two years seem to warrant a promotion to at least AAA.

Overall, you are right, this is thin top heavy system. They NEED to move Dunn, Griffey, Lohshe, Weathers, and maybe even Harang (for a bigger package). Having Milton come off the books next season is a double bonus. You don't have to pay him AND you don't have to worry about him taking the hill.

Edited to add: Just saw in print for the first time something I've suspected for quite awhile. Homer Bailey might be injured.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:23 AM

rwp,

my brother and i agree that the indians should be willing to give up chuck lofgren and someone like frankie gutierrez for griffey, which is a strong return. griffey's got 3 big selling points at the moment: 1) he's hitting real, real well (because he's real, real good when he's healthy); 2) he's healthy; 3) his contract is very very agreeable. according to ESPN, he's signed for 6.5M in 2008 with a club option for the same price in 2009.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and whatever team takes on Dunn is going to be making the worst trade of the trade season.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why?
Old 07-04-2007, 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and whatever team takes on Dunn is going to be making the worst trade of the trade season.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

His options expire if he is traded, and Krivsky has reportedly wanted absurd things for Dunn.