Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2007, 04:08 PM

Default Re: Starting My Journey

thanks again Aussie, i'm starting to understand what your saying, the game is always about "WHY" ... you have to ask yourself on every play ... why am i doing this and why is villian doing that

it's just a game, but more of a psychological game, you have to understand what your opponents are thinking and why they are thinking as they are

maybe i have more to learn they i though i did, may have to use August to study also, but i'll cross that bridge when i get to it

again thanks Aussie
-RichAM
Old 07-03-2007, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I will be starting at 1/2 Limit, Full Ring Only! I thought I would start out at 25c/50c or 50c/1 but I think by the time I'm ready to start playing, I'll be ready for 1/2. If I'm not comfortable with my knowledge of the game by then I'll start lower (but I will). I'll be starting with the standard 300BB ($600), sit down with 30BB and if I get below 20BB then reload back up to 30.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rich, let me be frank, I just want to warn you FWIW. FullTilt is a wrong place for you to start. 1/2 is a wrong level for you to start. SSHE is not applicable there in its entirety.
Reading the forum and SSHE for two months straight is absolutely no substitute for playing experience and trying to apply what you learned at the table. You might not encounter some fundamental concepts at the table for a 1000 hands. And when you do, you might not recognize the situation for what it is.

In any case, good luck at the tables.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:51 PM

heres my two cents. Since it sounds like you've been in over your head already with the thousands of dollars comment I would suggest you take 50 bucks and start at .05/.10 full ring. I think you would be much better off if you started there now and won/learned your way up instead of jumping in face first to 1/2 in august. Like Remy said, reading != experience.

Start low, learn to live with the swings and the beats when you have little invested. As you move up, you will be so much more comfortable. When I started over again with 20 bucks I did the same. Played 23k hands of .05/.10 thru .25/.50 with a winrate of about 5.4BB/100 hands. If you are worried about losing, I think you're only cheating yourself not taking advantage of the lower limits.

If you still feel like you must try your way, G'luck with it.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:01 PM

Welcome. Just make sure you are having fun w/ all of these limits and guidelines you are creating for yourself. Don't forget the reason you started playing in the first place.

I saw a great post by someone the other day and it was something to the effect of "Poker is not allowed to ruin my day." Wish I could remember who to give credit to for that.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:00 PM

Good luck Rich.

Couple of thousand bucks was impressive. Couldnt stake me could you ? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I am glad that you have come to this forum, because if you are serious about improving your game .... this is the right place. Just dont take any notice of my advice [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

As already suggested, I think that you would probably find joining in the session reviews to be very helpful. Nothing like having someone else review the hands you thought you played well and tell you otherwise !

I look forward to seeing some of your hand posts. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

By the way, there are also some cool guys posting in the NL tourney part of the forum. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-03-2007, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's the only way someone will learn, by telling them what they did wrong. Criticism is the key to becoming a better player.

[/ QUOTE ]
Getting the advice you give to other people criticized goes a long way.

My advice as far as playing goes is to think. Always know why you did something. Your reason may not always be right, but have that reason anyways. Why did you bet? "I thought he'd fold to my bluff, I didn't know he was calling with everything" is better then "I don't know."
Old 07-04-2007, 04:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Welcome. Just make sure you are having fun w/ all of these limits and guidelines you are creating for yourself. Don't forget the reason you started playing in the first place.

I saw a great post by someone the other day and it was something to the effect of "Poker is not allowed to ruin my day." Wish I could remember who to give credit to for that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Will take this post to [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 07-04-2007, 04:47 AM

I posted this "journey" thing to see what some of the good players/posters feel. By the way you all have spoken, I feel that you are right. I will listen to your advice and start lower. I'll be at 25c/50c this coming August. Thanks again guys/(gals) for helping me out.

-RichAM
Old 07-04-2007, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I posted this "journey" thing to see what some of the good players/posters feel. By the way you all have spoken, I feel that you are right. I will listen to your advice and start lower. I'll be at 25c/50c this coming August. Thanks again guys/(gals) for helping me out.

[/ QUOTE ]

G00t! If PokerStars is an option for you, I'd recoomend starting there at .50/1, tables are softer.

And practive good table selection - look for ones over 30-35% poeple to the flop. As people rotate in and out and table becomes super tight and aggressive, leave. Find a juicier one. You don't have to get back to even a THIS particular table!

GL
Old 07-04-2007, 04:19 PM

Good Luck.

Must say, $1/$2 sounds like a harsh place to start, but if you think you're ready for it, well, why not I guess.

Again, Good Luck.