Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2007, 08:12 AM

Default Re: Bellagio $2500 awkward stack spot.

To everyone hating on preflop: How could Bond have forseen his reraise getting called by both players? Most of the time a flop is seen in this hand, it will be heads up, which makes the hand a lot easier to play. Shoving would be okay, but there is nothing wrong with just reraising. It helps to do this with AK because it's what we would be doing with QQ-AA.

[ QUOTE ]
this is a really strange hand and a prime example of why you never EVER raise ~1/3 of your chips pf, jam or flat call preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

All right, this is just nonsense. What would you be doing with AA here? Flat out shoving? Flat calling? I think reraising to 2500 would be a better option than both of those.

As to the actual hand, I think I'd just check again Bond. I think you are even more likely to get looked up by a hand like 99 or 88 now.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:14 AM

Im pretty sure I just jam PF. Pot = 2000 including Bond's call and you have 6800 behind, therefore the pot representing nearly a third of your stack so I can't see that jamming here can be bad.

If you are raising here, and leaving yourself a PSB or in this case, a 2/3 sized pot bet left, then i think you have to be planning to jam any flop and rep QQ-AA. If there is going to be any possibility of having to check/fold a flop which you don't like, I really think this makes the argument for shoving PF that much stronger.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this is a really strange hand and a prime example of why you never EVER raise ~1/3 of your chips pf, jam or flat call preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. I might raise that much with AA/KK, getting it in on any flop, but thats more of a sucker play where I'm trying to get the suckers to come along where they wont call a push.

Theoretically your opponents should have realized you raised 1/3 of your stack, and fear aces, I guess.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:39 PM

Preflop, I think your play is right: (1) Jamming announces to everyone that you have AK, and Varico especially with his big stack might call with any pair; (2) playing AK differently than AA, KK and QQ kills any deception in your game.

Postflop, you can either cut your losses, which you chose to do, or you can say, no one else here has AA or KK, I acted like I had AA or KK, so let's continue to act like I have AA or KK and push on this somewhat coordinated flop. It's a close call, I think I'd check because both the T and the 7 are set scare cards vs. the two villians. With just one scare card, I'd probably push.

On the turn, everyone is now at least 95% certain you have AK. The only other (remote) possibility in their view after the flop was TT, and that possibility has disappeared with the second T coming on the turn. However, you may have the best hand. I can't believe neither player, especially Varico, bet the flop. I think they both have AK, AQ or AJ. I can't conceive of another hand they could have in which they wouldn't have bet the flop, maybe 33 or 22. You now have a total game of chicken, in which the first person in is probably going to win. The problem is that they have a lot more confidence in their read of your hand then you have in your read of theirs, and you're taking a huge chance moving in with AK when they both are going to put you on AK and probably call with any pair. Another tough decision, which is why poker players get the big bucks.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
K guys i'll advance this hand.

Flop:
Hero thinks for 10ish seconds and checks, UTG quickly checks, Varico quickly checks.

Turn: Td
Hero?

Nobody seems really interested and i think i could get some credit for checking a bit pair on that flop and then jamming. Do you like check or jam here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Jam is very weird (would you play this way with AA-JJ?, do they know that? If so maybe it works.)

I'd get the feeling I'm sickly behind.

I'd check, but is there some type of 1/4-1/3 pot bet you can make?
Old 07-02-2007, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop, I think your play is right: (1) Jamming announces to everyone that you have AK, and Varico especially with his big stack might call with any pair;

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good thing, I don't mind a call given the overlay. Also, I don't think jamming neccessarily says you have AK, other hands might push here. I would push TT, JJ, probably QQ, and AQ here, I would think about 99, and maybe AJ if I thought i'd get folds.

There's no way we should ever be putting in 1/3 of our stack and folding ever. I think OP really misplayed his hand by doing that.

Theres a good chance both villians fold. That's not terrible since we win 20% of our stack. It's not amazing, but its not bad given the alternative.

Also, other villian has raised from early position. Chances are he has a hand. It's not like Varico is just gonna say "obvious AK, I call with 22", he's gonna be considering the other villian too. Push AK, see all five cards if the other villian calls.

Also, I don't like a call here because BB is probably coming along, and I don't want to play AK with 3 other villians. This should be an easy/automatic push PF.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:00 PM

i wont discuss pf because i dont see much reason to ur play is fine. on the flop ur shoving 4900 into 7700.so if ur win rate on the hand is ~40% u break even (math might be a lil more off than i think).when u shove and get called u will be 24%~ vs 1 pair hands whcih he most likely has athough they could have a set sometimes i think we can just not worry bout it since u got backdoor fl draw and let them cross eachother out.so u only need them both to fold 20% of the time to be +ev.so if u have that much FE than u can push which u most likely do so i would shove flop.too lazy to discuss turn.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:01 AM

Some of the other posters said to go all-in preflop, which I think is a little too big of an overbet. But I would consider it.

I am much more likely to play it the way you did. I think you have to shove this flop.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:03 AM

btw I'd probably just go allin PF (and would definitely do the same with QQ, and sometimes with KK against random people.)
Old 07-03-2007, 01:19 AM

Yeah.. shove pre. Shoves get so much more respect, especially live.

Flop check's good I think.

I'm absolutely sure that shoving the turn is awful. You get no respect from anyone ever with this line, which means they're calling you with pretty much all better hands, and it's reasonable for them to have plenty of them.