Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2007, 05:13 PM

Default Re: Ask a Comic Book Store Owner

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
defined as a 32 page booklet with staples

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhh, don't many modern comics have 24 pages and didn't golden age comics have 64?

/nit

[/ QUOTE ]

I was offering that definition as the most expensive item I own with comic material in it is a $125 hardcover reprint collection of Sin City comics, but most non-comics people don't think of that as a "comic".

The easiest way is to say "it has staples". But most modern comics are 32 pages, with 22 pages of story and 10 pages of ads. Of course, that varies as well all the time.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
defined as a 32 page booklet with staples

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhh, don't many modern comics have 24 pages and didn't golden age comics have 64?

/nit

[/ QUOTE ]

I was offering that definition as the most expensive item I own with comic material in it is a $125 hardcover reprint collection of Sin City comics, but most non-comics people don't think of that as a "comic".

The easiest way is to say "it has staples". But most modern comics are 32 pages, with 22 pages of story and 10 pages of ads. Of course, that varies as well all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

since he started it, it's actually a saddle stitch, not a staple.

so you're saying if i held on to this TMNT #4 for 40 years, it probably still own't be worth sheet?
Old 06-30-2007, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is the sale of cards and figures from collectible games the bulk of your profits, or do the comics pull their weight for the most part?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually comics is easily my most profitable category right now. The discounts are good as a result of volume, and my years of experience in the industry give me the ability to order effectively to keep inventory levels reasonable.

The collectible card game industry has problems right now, from where I am sitting, in that there is little/no growth. I get new people coming in for comics every week. I very rarely see new faces asking about a collectible card game.

Figures/toys/etc are a sideline item that just helps provide people with the feeling of a cool shopping experience. On toys and other ancillary items the discounts are usually awful, and restocking is spotty at best. Comics and graphic novels are where it is at if you know what you're doing right now.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so you're saying if i held on to this TMNT #4 for 40 years, it probably still own't be worth sheet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Staple. Saddle stich. Nit. all the same [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

My crystal ball is failing, so I don't know for sure, but I'll tell you that 40 years is a time frame where something *might* be worth something.

I get people calling me all the time and telling me "I have these really old comics I want to sell." Then they tell me all about thier crap from the mid-80's to the mid-90's that everyone else has. I always tell them that a comic is like a human, and you don't call a 20 year old human old, do you? Forty years, on the other hand, is getting into the realm of stuff that is actually old enough to be rare, and if there's demand for it, it may be worth something.

And just for the record, I looked, and the most expensive TMNT #4 I can find is booking at $40. Which means if you can find a dealer willing to buy, and it is in flawless shape, you might be lucky and get $15 out of it. More likely $8-$10.

So hang onto it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-30-2007, 05:50 PM

I've got the first issue of the "new" X-men, you know, from the 70's. No creases or anything, but a little yellowing of the pages. What's the best way for me to get the most money for it, and is there much of a market for that comic yet?

Also, there are places to send your comic to get it certified as to condition, but I feel nervous about sending my comic off to strangers who I basically don't know from Adam. Would you recommend doing something like that with this comic, or comics in general?
Old 06-30-2007, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've got the first issue of the "new" X-men, you know, from the 70's. No creases or anything, but a little yellowing of the pages. What's the best way for me to get the most money for it, and is there much of a market for that comic yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

IF you happen to have Giant Size X-Men #1, you might have a comic worth a few dollars, but sight unseen I cannot say anything one way or another, you really need to find a local store that specializes in back issues to take a look at it. Odds are, what I said in the OP applies, though.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, there are places to send your comic to get it certified as to condition, but I feel nervous about sending my comic off to strangers who I basically don't know from Adam. Would you recommend doing something like that with this comic, or comics in general?

[/ QUOTE ]

Grading is a scam. Period. I've been in the industry all of my working life in some capacity. I've seen things that would get me sued out of existence if I discussed them in public, but I assure you that grading is a complete scam. If you still insist on getting it graded, though, and are worried about mailing it to a company, the company that does grading sets up instant-grading booths at many major shows where you take the book there, drop it off at the booth, and come back an hour or so later and pick up your slabbed book.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:05 PM

It's the Giant Size, it's the right one.

On the grading, I'm curious about the problems you saw, but know you can't be specific. Would any of them pertain to having my book harmed or stolen and replaced with an inferior conditioned comic at a show?
Old 06-30-2007, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's the Giant Size, it's the right one.

On the grading, I'm curious about the problems you saw, but know you can't be specific. Would any of them pertain to having my book harmed or stolen and replaced with an inferior conditioned comic at a show?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh no, I never even heard of anything like that happening. It *may* happen, as the whole thing is in fact run by humans that can make mistakes, but I've never heard of it happening from any credible source.
It has more to do with how grades are assigned. Let's just say thay the grading is more generous when you make hundreds of submissions a month.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:15 PM

Ah, I see. Thanks.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:17 PM

My grandpa was hired to work for, then became friends with a husband and wife team that owned a Cards and Comic shop. This was wayyyyyy back in the mid 80's. One of the first scams I heard about was them opening packs and then using a machine to heat and reseal them.

What are the big or little scams that are used in your industry.
(Not by you of course)

Also
What good stories do you have about finding valuable stuff at a garage sale, in an attic, etc...