Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-29-2007, 04:47 AM

Default Cambrian

I've recently been taking a hard look at Hugh Ross and so far find much of his stuff interesting. Briefly, he's a Ph.D. in astronomy and is also a Christian (y'all would classify him Fundy), and he's been a very prolific writer on science and the Bible, a speaker at many colleges, and has a radio and T.V. show.

He accepts 14 billion and 4.5 billion years as the ages of the universe and earth, but he rejects evolution, taking the position that God has engaged in special creation at various times during the past.

At this point his position appeals to me, and though I'm also comfortable with the possibility of theistic evolution, I don't see any reason to accept it if it isn't true.

So that brings me to the Cambrian explosion. For those who don't know the timeline is something like this (please don't hit me if I get it wrong, I'm just a ignernt layman):

1. 4.5 Bya - earth pops up.
2. 3.9 Bya - single cell life pops up.
3. 550 Mya - all of todays body plans (phyla?) pop up within a space of about 10 My.

Darwin had some trouble with the Cambrian. 3.5 By of nothing, then poof as if by magic, almost everything. I think he basically said that it contradicts his theory, though he expected (hoped?) the fossil record would eventually explain it and thus prove him right.

So my question is this:

Does the Cambrian explosion prove that the fossil record doesn't support Darwinism?

Plese don't cite the Talk.Origins paper on this. I've read it, read the answer to it, and it isn't enough to color me evolutiony.