Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2007, 06:20 AM

Default Re: Arizona: Ignition Interlock Devices for First Time DUI Offenders

-Snowball

couple points:

i am not sure how effective the devices would be, i think we all know they wouldn't reduce drunk driving related accidents to zero even if they were installed on every car.

i disagree entirely with your claim that a human life is unvaluable.

i am not convinced that insurance premiums would be significantly reduced or that there will be a 'trickle-down' effect that you suggest whereby individuals benefit more than the cost of the device and its maintenance. keep in mind most households will need multiple devices.

finally i think you need to be thinking marginally. if you want to save lives, there are much much cheaper ways to be doing that. we only have a finite amount of resources to work with, so any money dedicate to life saving policies should have maximum effect. i am almost certain this isn't the lowest cost per life saved safety measure that could be employed. even if you only consider policies relating to automobile traffic.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:58 AM

Please relay the first report of an interlock device installed on a 20 year old car belonging to a DUI illegal alien. I predict this will somehow continue to slip past the system.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Please relay the first report of an interlock device installed on a 20 year old car belonging to a DUI illegal alien. I predict this will somehow continue to slip past the system.

[/ QUOTE ]

Therefore, any regulations that are ineffective in this regard should be summarily dismissed.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok, its time to put a stop to this bit of right wing nonsense. I suspect you are talking about a recent Supreme Court decision that immigrants cannot be deported for a DUI convicition. However, this decision talks about revoking LEGAL status and deporting immigrants who have green cards or visas. We still have the right to deport those here illegally, even if they have committed no other crime at all.

This is what happens when you get your news from Rush.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just one example.
It would reduce the amount of accidents on the road, which would lower insurance premiums, and save a lot of people money. Safer roads = cheaper car insurance.
And then there's that thing you can't put a price on, but some people think it's worth something anyway. It's called human life.

[/ QUOTE ]

In that case, it would be much more efficient and effective simply to ban cars. And ban alcohol as well, for that matter.

Now, go ahead and make your collectivist ulitilarian-cost-benefit argument.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just one example.
It would reduce the amount of accidents on the road, which would lower insurance premiums, and save a lot of people money. Safer roads = cheaper car insurance.
And then there's that thing you can't put a price on, but some people think it's worth something anyway. It's called human life.

[/ QUOTE ]

In that case, it would be much more efficient and effective simply to ban cars. And ban alcohol as well, for that matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the nonmonetary value of NOT having an interlock device? Unless I have that, I feel like a fat kid on a see-saw, because I fail to see what *exactly* is being so cruelly sacrificed.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Why can't we just have these installed on all cars? It seems expensive, but it's cheaper than the alternative.

[/ QUOTE ]

do you have an evidence for this statement? or even a little logic to support the that claim, because i honestly don't understand that position at all.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just one example.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not skip the half-measures and just ban automobiles? It is the only logical conclusion given your reasoning.

Edit: Oops, it was so obvious someone beat me to it.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok, its time to put a stop to this bit of right wing nonsense. I suspect you are talking about a recent Supreme Court decision that immigrants cannot be deported for a DUI convicition. However, this decision talks about revoking LEGAL status and deporting immigrants who have green cards or visas. We still have the right to deport those here illegally, even if they have committed no other crime at all.

This is what happens when you get your news from Rush.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't audition for Ms. Cleo's job.

Illegal aliens skate on so many crimes while legal aliens and citizens will pay the full penalty of the law. This is not news. Law enforcement knows that writing tickets to illegals is a waste of time. Calling ICE is a waste of time. Doing anything in a sanctuary city is impossible. There are clearly two sets of law in America and it's divided on race. And this is what is really pissing off the citizens. Some still believe in rule of law.

My best friend did a ride along with Fish and Game one day. The routine was clear. Write up english speakers that are in violation. Don't bother with those without ID and speaking spanish, no ticket, tiny consequences. This goes on all up and down the line. I'm tired of it.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just one example.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the nonmonetary value of NOT having an interlock device? Unless I have that, I feel like a fat kid on a see-saw, because I fail to see what *exactly* is being so cruelly sacrificed.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Time and convenience, which are not frivolous commodities for most in today's world

2. Increased cost of having another "option" built in to your car

3. The sense of freedom and autonomy
Old 06-30-2007, 08:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Why can't we just have these installed on all cars? It seems expensive, but it's cheaper than the alternative.

[/ QUOTE ]

do you have an evidence for this statement? or even a little logic to support the that claim, because i honestly don't understand that position at all.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just one example.

[/ QUOTE ]

Should the government reduce all speed limits to 10MPH? If not why not?