View Poll Results: well?
yes 142 73.58%
no - keep beating the yank 33 17.10%
show me the results 18 9.33%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-29-2007, 11:45 AM
 is offline

Default Re: NHL\'s Adam Oates: HOF\'er?

I don't really follow hockey that closely anymore but interested in what you guys think my favorite player Mogilny's chances would be?

I think few players were ever as exciting to watch as he was when he was on.

Someone like Larionov is easily in. He is one the biggest international hockey legends ever just based on what he did before even getting to the nhl.
Part of maybe the greatest line ever (KLM) and all that. That's what it's viewed as outside north america anyway.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't really follow hockey that closely anymore but interested in what you guys think my favorite player Mogilny's chances would be?

[/ QUOTE ]

not very good. he had two great seasons, one very good one, and a stanley cup ring (where he did very little to earn it). in between he was one of the most frustrating players in the sport.

i loved when the devils acquired alex mogilny and they haven't had a player that exciting since. his second time with the team - let's just forget about it. he was a hall-of-fame talent and a hilarious interview to boot, but just couldn't put it all together for more than a few seasons and struggled with injuries.

kidcolin - oates' skills (like gretzky's) didn't really translate well to NHL games, but that's a funny point. yeah i forgot about roenick too - how about dale hawerchuk and joe sakic too? oates was very good for a long time and the NHL HOF is absurdly inclusive, so he'll get in, but there's a ton of centers i'd rather have at every point during his career.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:16 PM

Location: ***yankees offseason thread*** oh and Gd River Ave Blues

[ QUOTE ]

Someone like Larionov is easily in. He is one the biggest international hockey legends ever just based on what he did before even getting to the nhl.
Part of maybe the greatest line ever (KLM) and all that. That's what it's viewed as outside north america anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

that was my point. his years in the nhl are not as impressive as some other players, but internationally he is an all-time great. thankfully, this is not the NHL HOF.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:24 PM

larionov's NHL career really isn't that great, though - both he and slava fetisov came here with legendary reputations and played very good, but not great, hockey.

he'll get in.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:51 PM

Adam Oates is a definitely a HOF'er. Five time allstar, made it to the Stanley cup finals twice. With the exception of playing with Brett Hull for 3 years in St. Louis he never played with any legit goal scorers and he still posted sick assist numbers.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Adam Oates is a definitely a HOF'er. Five time allstar, made it to the Stanley cup finals twice. With the exception of playing with Brett Hull for 3 years in St. Louis he never played with any legit goal scorers and he still posted sick assist numbers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cam Neely? Peter Bondra? Paul Kariya? These guys are no good now? One's in the HOF, another will get there, and Kariya could've made if not for injuries/holdouts.

5 time all-star is hardly a case for him - if anything, it's a case against him. When you can name 20 centers who had better peaks during his career, something's wrong with his candidacy.

I do admit that Chris Simon and Dmitri Kvartanlov owe a lot to Mr. Oates - but beyond that, I don't see why this is such a lock. I mean, is Pierre Turgeon a HOFer? Dale Hawerchuk? Joe Nieuwendyk?
Old 06-29-2007, 03:57 PM

Adam Oates definitely gets in.

Larionov does not. His career in the NHL wasn't particularly exciting. He had some decent seasons, but nothing incredible.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:01 PM

one of Oates best seasons in Boston (1992-93), he scored a career-high 45 goals, 97 assists and 142 points... Cam Neely only played 13 games that year. The few years to follow Neely never played more then 50 games a year and averaged around 45 a season. He did play well with Bondra, the Caps made it the finals Oate's second year on the team. Oates played one season with Kayria toward the end of his career.

AO was 2nd in assits in the 90s only behind Gretzky. I think overall people tend to overlook how important of a playmaker he really was. Turgean, Hawerchuk, Nieuwendyk in the peak of there careers never put up point totals better then Oates best.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:48 PM

After reading the thread, I expected the poll results to be closer than 92-8.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:44 PM

Oates' prime is pretty good - forgot Neely was hurt in 92-93 - but it's just that so many guys from that era are going to get in because scoring was inflated. I think Scott Gomez and Doug Weight's careers will look very similar if you take out A: era inflation and B: the fact that Oates got to play with HOF-sniper talent whereas Weight and Gomez got to play with average first line talent for the most part.