Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2007, 11:00 PM

Default Re: SamG\'s Log

i work in an office all day...cook your meals on the weekend or in the morning...pack them into a cooler and just eat them when you need to...

i eat 2/3 times per day at the office with no problems...2 whole food meals packed in tupperware cooked over the weekend and 1 shake...
Old 07-25-2007, 01:25 PM

OK, guys. I haven't posted forever because I was at the WSOP ME for over a week, then when I got home I came down with a nasty cold, which I'm just now getting over. Today is the first day for a while I haven't been popping DayQuil capsules into my mouth every few hours.

I joined a gym yesterday and plan to go for my first workout either tonight or tomorrow. This forum has been immensely helpful so far. A few more questions:

1. How do I know how much to lift my first time? I really have no clue how much weight to put on the bar. (I'm doing Rippetoe.)
2. What machine do you guys recommend for cardio? Treadmill, exercise bike, something else?
3. Anything else I should know before my first workout?

Thanks.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Combine that with the fact that you might (definitely will? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) bust within the first two days and I think it's best to get started ASAP.

[/ QUOTE ]
Or I could last four days and finish 142nd. Hypothetically speaking of course [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 07-25-2007, 01:47 PM

The Rippetoe FAQ: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

1. Start with just the bar and do a set of 5. Keep adding 10-20 pounds until the bar speed slows down noticeably. Do 3 sets at that weight.
2. I say mix it up. Once you get skilled at something it becomes less of a workout to do the same thing. So keep it fresh. Throw in some swimming, rowing machine, elliptical, jump rope, etc.
3. Keep a log. It's a great motivational tool.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:14 PM

OK, my first workout today. I'm really [censored] weak, but you gotta start somewhere. I tried to go easy since I am hopelessly out of shape.

7/26

Squat: 115 x 3 x 5
Bench: 95 x 3 x 5

Cardio: 20 minutes elliptical

I know I'm supposed to do deads. I will next time. I don't have a good excuse.

Pretty sure I have awful form. I have a friend who works out often. I might take him next time to watch me. Also I am going to reread the Rippetoe stuff, this time more carefully.

Postworkout, I drank Muscle Milk (2 scoops mixed with water). Should I be drinking this preworkout, too? I'm considering also adding a multivitamin and fish oil capsules.

I feel good, but I'm already sore. I'm not looking forward to tomorrow. Anything I can do tonight to lessen the delayed onset soreness?
Old 07-26-2007, 09:57 PM

sam, congrats on getting started...don't worry about being weak, gotta start somewhere...you will be amazed how your lifts will go up as you become more proficient at the lifts and get a bit of experience and likely more confidence in your ability to lift heavier weights...

to get rid of the soreness, eat, get good sleep...you could try taking a contrast shower (very hot and very cold, back and forth), don't know if it really works but ive read it from a ton of different sources...
Old 07-26-2007, 10:32 PM

Heh, the best thing to prevent the soreness would be to start with lighter weights. If I were hopelessly out of shape I wouldn't have started at 115 for the squats especially... tomorrow could suck really bad for you. Take some advil if it's really bad, but continue to workout through the pain unless its really crippling. Usually after a good warm up you'll be fine.

Here's a good read on workout nutrition: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=272067

Summary: 2 to 1 ratio of carbs to protein before and after. So add some dextrose or ground up oats or both to that shake and have one before the workout too. Sweet tarts are ok if you can't get dextrose, which you can find at beer brewing supply stores.

To learn the proper form, I recommend looking at videos and posting your own for critique.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:13 PM

I still think he should start out with More reps and lighter weight. After three months than go to smaller sets and more weight. Advil can be your best friend take two before bed
Old 07-26-2007, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I still think he should start out with More reps and lighter weight. After three months than go to smaller sets and more weight.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why?
Old 07-27-2007, 10:18 AM

I am just going from persoanl experience. I could barely lift and my trainer switched me to lighter weight more reps to build some muscle. After I was 10 weeks into the program she switched it to heavier weight and lower reps. I was new to lifting weights back than. As i have gotten back to the gym I have begun the same program. Though I am trying to loose weight and not bulk up