Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2007, 03:30 PM

Default Re: free coaching

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure that's a no. Mat has posted before that you can't link to your own site, especially when the link is designed to drive traffic to your commercial (coaching) enterprise.

[/ QUOTE ]

So far it wasnt said that these free coaching lessons included promoting a website.

I dont really understand the real problem I guess. I mean there are official threads listing coaches. If I were to say "hey, Im on that list too now. Also Im gonna give 10 free lessons" then thats perfectly fine imho. First of all its gonna help somebody tremendously in their game (well, not if I really were to coach [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] but you get the point) and secondly its just an information for everybody else. Its not an advertisement that can just be sent hourly and spams a forum. If he were actually to do that I would still allow it because it means it helps a lot of posters.

Ruling against these _rare_ posts is truly nitty imo.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:48 PM

If people are willing to do a significant amount of pro bono work to get their name out there, that's a net plus for the community, and the happier the regular posters are the more they post and come around. This is good for 2+2. 2+2's policy shouldn't be "there will be no free advertising ever." It should be "there will be no free advertising unless it's good for 2+2." I also think this should be up to the mods in individual forums. We know the posters and who is giving back and who's intent is just to pimp something.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:45 PM

FREE COACHING ON GILDWULF.NET

OH LOOK AT GILDWULF.COM IT'S RIGHT OVER THERE YA GO AHEAD AND CLICK IT

YEA YOU WANT TO

BOOM YOU GOT CHARGED 200/HR YOU LOSE
Old 06-28-2007, 09:01 PM

If you guys think it's a good idea, fairly soon, I will have created some sort of page that will list coaches and have a place where people can also put reviews of said coaches.

If it is a good idea, I think it should probably be free to be listed. Perhaps there will be a charge for a banner or link to a different site, however. I don't think the coaches should then be able to "advertise" their placement on this page.

Any flaws?
Old 06-28-2007, 09:43 PM

Mat,

Sounds good. As I mentioned above, I still don't get why 2+2 doesn't want its members to be able to have locations like "Coaching - PM for details!" I think stuff like that strengthens the community.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:56 AM

I'm open to most things, but iirc most people think it's a bad idea in that it leads to other spamminess and creates excessive work for mods.

this coaching directory should be a good compromise, i think.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm open to most things, but iirc most people think it's a bad idea in that it leads to other spamminess and creates excessive work for mods.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say that "most" is at least debatable. This decision was made after this thread.

Of the mods that expressed an opinion, those against any mention of coaching in locations were citanul, MrWookie, and daryn. Those in favor of few limitations were xorbie, El Diablo, ahnuld, and myself. Durron expressed the opinion that he didn't much like my rational, and thought it was self serving. Nation also had a location that said ~"coaching," but said he didn't have an opinion. MH came down on the side of allowing "coaching" but not "PM me" or "see profile."

[ QUOTE ]
this coaching directory should be a good compromise, i think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I think it would be a nice thing to have. It's going to need thoughtful design and continuing management though. It's not an easy fix because there's going to be complaints about the design and support issues when disputes come up between posters. I don't know if it's a substantial enough improvement over the current coaching list system to justify the effort.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:53 AM

This post of yours seems self-serving to me. No?
Old 06-29-2007, 03:59 AM

I tend to agree with mr gildwulf