Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2007, 06:22 PM

Default Re: Credit Card Whoring

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I can't remember the correct term...but it's debt to "available credit"

[/ QUOTE ]

Revolving utilization. This is one of the most common reasons for a below average credit score. If you use a high percentage of your available aggregate credit limit, your credit will be impacted even if you never go delinquent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's say I normally have 2 credit cards open and use very little of my available credit on them. Then I whore some for a while and close them when the 0% APR ends, leaving my 2 original card open, still with nearly of their credit available. Shouldn't my credit score be in about the same place it started?
Old 06-28-2007, 06:48 PM

http://www.fatwallet.com/t/52/632935/
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/arcm...hreadid=431225
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/arcm...hreadid=176104
Old 06-28-2007, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I can't remember the correct term...but it's debt to "available credit"

[/ QUOTE ]

Revolving utilization. This is one of the most common reasons for a below average credit score. If you use a high percentage of your available aggregate credit limit, your credit will be impacted even if you never go delinquent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's say I normally have 2 credit cards open and use very little of my available credit on them. Then I whore some for a while and close them when the 0% APR ends, leaving my 2 original card open, still with nearly of their credit available. Shouldn't my credit score be in about the same place it started?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, but it seems that it would often be higher if you did that, and then left the now-useless whoring cards open.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:13 AM

When you apply for credit cards, they do "hard pulls" which show up as inquiries on your credit report. This negatively affects your score for something like 6 months to a year. Also when you receive new cards, two things happen. Your credit limit increases- which improves your score, but your average card age decreases- which lowers your score. So if you were looking to get a loan within the next year, I wouldn't go on an app-o-rama. Otherwise, getting cards now and keeping them *CAN* be a wise choice (depends on if you are responsible or not).

So if you apply for a few cards, it would be pretty silly to cancel them. Also, the earlier you receive a card the sooner you can apply for a credit limit increase.

The cards with bonuses (that I know of) are the amazon.com card ($30), sonycard ($100 credit), and the att card ($50 gift card).
Old 06-29-2007, 10:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The cards with bonuses (that I know of) are the amazon.com card ($30), sonycard ($100 credit), and the att card ($50 gift card).

[/ QUOTE ]

check out cardoffers.com - they are an affiliate for card signups and they kickback a bunch of the money they get if you sign up through them. I just got a $40 check for opening a amex blue cash card, they paid fast and it was super easy.

ps: i have no financial interest in that site blah blah blah just passing it along
Old 06-29-2007, 11:23 AM

If one has A+ credit they should be making 59,000 a year credit whoring if they so desired.

EASY MONEY........SORT OF.

-fh-
Old 06-29-2007, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If one has A+ credit they should be making 59,000 a year credit whoring if they so desired.

-fh-

[/ QUOTE ]

Making 59k or having 59k in interest free loans? If the first, please elaborate.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-fh-

[/ QUOTE ]

Making 59k or having 59k in interest free loans? If the first, please elaborate.

[/ QUOTE ]
i think he means 59k in revenues by "selling" one's credit.

Barron
Old 06-29-2007, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-fh-

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-29-2007, 03:56 PM

PROFITING 59K.........

-FH-