Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2007, 03:28 AM

Default Re: $10 QQ in small blind

Sorry I wasn't able to respond to any posts sooner as I was at a concert all day. I would like some more clarity as to why, as played, check folding the flop is bad. I understand I have committed a lot of chips to this hand as it is, but why commit more if I believe myself to be beat. He was one of the few players I would have laid this down to at the table, if not the only one. Even as a big stack he had a) barely raised and b) shown down nothing but the winning hand when he had bet post-flop so it led me to believe he had hit the king. I believe if he had jj-tt or even aa-kk he likely reshoves preflop, so after his play on the flop I no longer believe my qq is ahead so why should I stick the rest of my stack out there?

[ QUOTE ]
Unfoldable hand. OOP. Standard reraise to 2.5-3K commits you to calling a push with any hand you'd reraise with ====> just shove it preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the advice I like best with just calling being a close second so far as I believe I play post flop fairly well. Thanks again.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:53 AM

Make standard re-raise. Shove any flop.

If you shove preflop, you're only called by JJ+, AK unless you're against a total donkey. You won't get lesser hands to call you.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:52 AM

Preflop is probably best and the most standard. Pushing and flat calling are also fine.

On the flop, you need to get the money in. The fold is bad.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Make standard re-raise. Shove any flop.

If you shove preflop, you're only called by JJ+, AK unless you're against a total donkey. You won't get lesser hands to call you.

[/ QUOTE ]

If villain knows you are pretty potcommitted isn't his callingrange of your triple raise pretty much the same? MP3 could be stealing or he could have inferior hands I would like to get some money out; if he has KK, AA the money is going in no matter what; if he has AJ, AT, A9, JJ, a midpair After thinking about it again I definitely want to make some money on this hand and don't fold him out with a big reraise. If an ace or king comes on the flop I can still bet out and fold to any aggression or check/call and evaluate on the turn.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:48 AM

I push preflop with 13 effective bb. WE're 47% against JJ+, AK and with the dead money in the pot I'm fine getting it in against that range. They also fold sometimes and we're take the pot without a shodown so pushing is obv ok.

The question is whether 3betting and pushing any flop when called is more +EV. I really don't know.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:52 AM

I push this preflop when a big stack has only raised 3 times in 90 hands. He's not folding.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:31 AM

90 hands ain't much, but I feel like it gives me a somewhat clear view that this player is limping with drawing/medium hands and only come out raising his strong hands. I don't want to make a bet and get called by AK who will fold to our flop-push. The only way that I can think of getting all chips in the pot as a favorite is by pushing this preflop. And with our stack and the pot already, I think it's a pretty easy push preflop.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I push this preflop when a big stack has only raised 3 times in 90 hands. He's not folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you know he's not folding, and he's 3% PFR, aren't you slightly better at best (AK) and behind (KK-AA) most of the time here?

Explain why its not enough reasoning for a cold call PF?
Old 06-27-2007, 08:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you know he's not folding, and he's 3% PFR, aren't you slightly better at best (AK) and behind (KK-AA) most of the time here?

Explain why its not enough reasoning for a cold call PF?

[/ QUOTE ]

The guy should be at least raising AQ+, TT pf even if he's relatively tight. If we call, we probably generally stack off agaisnt better hands (KK+) anyway (this shallow, you'll be down to the felt before you can establish with any certainty you're behind), allow hands like TT-JJ to get away, bluff us off or not get full value on non A/K flops, and only get more money out of AQ+ when it hits.

If villain was more aggro, I like calling more, but here I think he's calling a push most of the time and we are way ahead of his raise-calling range.

Also, whatever we do, it's kind of hard not to look strong. Calling out of the SB, unless we have a passive station image, looks strong, raising less than ai looks very strong, pushing looks strong. So get the chips in while we're ahead of his range.