Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 12:24 AM

Default Re: Dissatisfied with # of 3rd place finishes.

Sorry OP. I will now take a very different attitude towards your post knowing it is play money. I thought you were just some one playing way over their head with an inflated ego about their game.

I don't really know how to advise you to get better at play money games. I mean, you could buy a program like SNGPT, but it costs money and may not be worth it for play money games. It'll also be harder to put your opponents on a range when they aren't worried at all about losing money.

My advice would be to just read the forums and soke in what is being said.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:25 AM

Ok, if you really want to learn the game I would suggest reading a lot of posts, try even thinking of how you would play out a hand and then read the responses to understand what other people would have done. Besides that there is software you can purchase, but probably isn't worth investing in until you start playing with real money. GL, experience and reading this forum are probably your best approaches until you decide to deposit.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:34 AM

Your high number of 3rds is most likely the result of atrocious bubble play. You get a lot of 3rds when one of the other 4 stacks goes all-in vs. a bigger stack and loses thus giving you 3rd with a very short stack. Once you reach real money that effect isn't so pronounced (but it does still exist).
Old 06-25-2007, 12:36 AM

Wow...I missed the fact that it was play money too. OK since you're 15 and obviously interested in poker and want to get better that's great.

Read this forum regularly (but don't ever ever ever start another play money thread again). Play for play money and learn the game, but realize that you can't compare your stats at play money tables to anything at the real money levels. I say this just in case you keep winning and figure you have the game down cold and steal your parent's credit card and donk off a couple grand. And take all the math courses you can get in school.

On second thought, go ahead and steal dad's visa and get on the 6.50s at Stars.... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-25-2007, 12:36 AM

DevinLake - I apologize for coming off that way, it was definitely not my intent. I understand bankroll management & am applying it to my PM bankroll. I grinded out the 5/10 NLHE tables until I had achieved a bankroll of $5,000 - $7,500, from there I began to play the $250 SnGs (since I use the 20 - 30 times the buy-in as a rule of thumb of what games my bankroll will support). I guess a more realistic goal would be for me to absolute crush PM games until I am almost certain I am fundamentally sound (mastered the basic aspects of NLHE; pot odds, position, pre-/post-flop play, etc.) I don't know your opinion on pirating programs, but I may be able to get my hands on a torrent & key cracker for SNGPT. Thanks for your advice, it's appreciated.

Kevin8423 - I intend on reading the majority, if not all, of the posts in both the Beginner forum & the STT strategy forum. I will start reading hand posts & working out how I would play the hand before reading the responses like you've suggested. I've dled a pirated version of SNGWIZ, which I haven't yet begun to get into (dled it yesterday). Anyways, thanks for your reply.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:42 AM

What's your plans for real money play? Mow lawns this summer to save up a few hundo to deposit?
Old 06-25-2007, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've dled a pirated version of SNGWIZ

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess you're not above stealing then....go get that credit card.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:46 AM

BradleyT - I had figured the high # of 3rds was a result of poor poker playing, & I've begun reading whatever I can on SnG strategy (bubble play, specifically). Thanks for the reply.

cougar62 - I apologize for posting a PM thread. I hadn't realized it was that looked down upon. & I realize I can't compare my stats to real money stats, I just thought I'd do it for kicks. Like I said in my reply to DevinLake, a more realistic goal, I guess, is for me to be of the skill level to completely crush the PM games - thus I know that my fundamentals are as close to being sound as they could possibly be without playing real money games. I intend on reading these forums until I believe I can beat PM games without mentally exhausting myself, & am winning 95% of the SnGs I play in before I get into real money games. I have my own credit card & am able to deposit money, but I do not want to quite yet.. just because I do not think my game is fundamentally sound yet. Anyways, thanks.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
BradleyT - I had figured the high # of 3rds was a result of poor poker playing, & I've begun reading whatever I can on SnG strategy (bubble play, specifically). Thanks for the reply.

cougar62 - I apologize for posting a PM thread. I hadn't realized it was that looked down upon. & I realize I can't compare my stats to real money stats, I just thought I'd do it for kicks. Like I said in my reply to DevinLake, a more realistic goal, I guess, is for me to be of the skill level to completely crush the PM games - thus I know that my fundamentals are as close to being sound as they could possibly be without playing real money games. I intend on reading these forums until I believe I can beat PM games without mentally exhausting myself, & am winning 95% of the SnGs I play in before I get into real money games. I have my own credit card & am able to deposit money, but I do not want to quite yet.. just because I do not think my game is fundamentally sound yet. Anyways, thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even in play money games you will never be able to win 95%, I don't know what is realistic but there is no way it is that high.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:54 AM

Fish...this is I think the first play money thread I've ever seen to be honest. I think posting a play money thread won't be that helpful for you because you won't get many serious replies.

But, it's great that you want to learn the game. So many people think poker is easy and they have it all figured out. But, that's simply not the case. Just keep reading and improving. Once ur old enough to put real money down, you should be pwning the games.
Closed Thread