Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2007, 09:28 AM

Default Re: I pretty much have to call this river bet, right?

In fact against certain villains I will raise the river.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Btw your hand is impossible both you and the Board have the Q of Hearts. If the Ace is the heart on the board then a call is more reasonable.

[/ QUOTE ]

My mistake. It must have been Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], I was tired last night. All I know for sure is that it wasn't the A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (that doesn't necessarily mean he had it).

[ QUOTE ]
OOooo the risky cbet situations. Wow allows you to trap better (in omaha..). And disguising your hand by limping all hands is super tricky too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mock me all you want but I've won plenty of monster pots trapping with trip aces and kings that I probably would not have if I'd raised preflop.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, is this table playing non-nut flushes? Last year the few days I played, people played flushes like they were playing NLHE, i.e. if they hit any flush they thought they had the nuts. If someone had a higher flush, then that was just plain bad luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes they are, but I wasn't sure about this guy since I couldn't remember anything he had taken to showdown as of yet.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:07 PM

I call this more or less always without a read, but if you'd raised to $40-50 preflop you probably don't have a decision here unless you were deep. He could have picked up nut hearts on the river, but he could also be bluffing the scare card.... quite often he will even be value-betting a weaker flush, since he's more or less representing a bluff.

Not raising premium hands in position is never really a good play. reducing variance is good and all, but it costs you so much value in spots like this.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:03 PM

I don't really think he would have folded his hand regardless of how big the bets were at any point, but I could be wrong.

I spose it's not ideal to limp as often as I have been lately, but 2-5 uncapped scares me (highest I play online is 1-2) so I'm being more of a nit that usual. Can you blame me? If it redeems me at all, I have been bluffing postflop quite successfully. In fact, all of my profit yesterday was from bluffs except for one pot.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:11 PM

Um you also had the Queen of Diamonds in your hand. Everyone is focused on whether the players are playing non-nut flushes. However, what hand does someone call the flop with that doesnt have at least j-high flush and more likely king high or ace high flush. Given that the table has NLHE types, ah7h89 is a possible villian holding with the idea that you were betting top pair top kicker. Was there any information on your table image?
Old 06-24-2007, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't really think he would have folded his hand regardless of how big the bets were at any point, but I could be wrong.

I spose it's not ideal to limp as often as I have been lately, but 2-5 uncapped scares me (highest I play online is 1-2) so I'm being more of a nit that usual. Can you blame me? If it redeems me at all, I have been bluffing postflop quite successfully. In fact, all of my profit yesterday was from bluffs except for one pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the point cmyr was making is that if you raised preflop (with your premium hand), then one of you is all in by the time the river card shows. I.e. you are getting your money in good.

And look at it this way...if you are playing tight and raise your truly premium hands with position, then you are going to be raising like once every three rotations. People are probably going to be scared of you or at least not reraise.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Um you also had the Queen of Diamonds in your hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! I was uh... tired when I woke up... and stuff. Yeah so I'm retarded. Must have been a black queen because I'm 100% sure the ace on the flop wasn't a heart and the flush came runner runner. Sorry for the confusion.

[ QUOTE ]
And look at it this way...if you are playing tight and raise your truly premium hands with position, then you are going to be raising like once every three rotations. People are probably going to be scared of you or at least not reraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but then everyone knows I hold big cards and will know to fold on the broadway flops and that they can take the pot from me when it comes all rags. I just don't like it. I do agree that raising lots of hands would do just as well as raising none of them. It is also probably the better strategy, but I don't think I'm good enough with C-bet situations to do that. Seems like 95% of the time I follow through after missing a flop I get raised. I don't know how the good lags get away with it, despite watching them do it all day long. Aside from that, there's already plenty of raising going on and it's very likely that someone would reraise the pot on me and then what do I do with QQds? I'll tell you what I do, I'd probably call cause I'm a bit fishy and then I'm out $100 when I miss the flop. It's too much chaos for me I tellz ya.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:31 PM

Sounds to me like you need to learn how to play postflop.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:47 PM

I actually think I'm very good postflop (and I'm usually not one to toot my own horn when it comes to poker), just not when it comes to continuation betting. That is why I am passive preflop.

Edit: Perhaps I would have more trouble at higher limits, but the way I play really does work just fine for small stakes PLO. I have a sweet winrate.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:08 PM

this is why you raise 4card runs and make allll the moneys