Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2007, 08:06 PM

Default Re: pokerstars $1,050 wsop sat. shortstacked

[ QUOTE ]
This is a fold.

It is possible you have FE in a satellite, but I wouldn't bet on it.

The small raise could mean a big hand, but this is not certain in a satellite.

Look to open push with this stack for maximum FE.

Pick on large and medium stacks playing correctly cautiously. Don't pick on other small stacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that we are far enough from qualification that most of the above points are of much less importance than if 20-22 qualified. I think that our strategy should resemble something pretty close to normal poker strategy.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is a fold.

The small raise could mean a big hand, but this is not certain in a satellite.

Pick on large and medium stacks playing correctly cautiously. Don't pick on other small stacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that we are far enough from qualification that most of the above points are of much less importance than if 20-22 qualified. I think that our strategy should resemble something pretty close to normal poker strategy.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't agree with this. I wouldn't play as if there were 14 players left, but you need to make adjustments. Also, other players will be making adjustments, sometimes incorrect adjustments, and you need to take that into account. The fact that the play will become very different from an MTT when some more players are eliminated effects your strategy now.

I play very different in a satellite from the beginning, playing much more survival oriented early on.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is a fold.

The small raise could mean a big hand, but this is not certain in a satel.lite.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't agree with this. I wouldn't play as if there were 14 players left, but you need to make adjustments. Also, other players will be making adjustments, sometimes incorrect adjustments, and you need to take that into account. The fact that the play will become very different from an MTT when some more players are eliminated effects your strategy now.

I play very different in a satellite from the beginning, playing much more survival oriented early on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again I'm not talking about what other players are doing, I'm talking about what they should do. I already made the point in my original posting that if players are playing overly tight for whatever reason, you perhaps don't have to call preflop.

Some adjustments should be made by all players due to the prize structure but I think they are relatively minimal at this point. What I mean is that if everyone is playing perfectly somehow, this is such a ridiculously clear call preflop. Of course that's not usually the case in practice, but it's good to know the right play when facing a field of all good players.

This is why I preface my posts with "such and such is the theoretically best play", because I understand that theory and practice are often different, and you often have to be there to sense the difference.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:06 PM

I place an emphasis on survival because all I need to do is survive and because it will be easy to steal later on.

I can also play more aggressively in certain situations because other players are emphasizing survival.

If you read the STT forum, good SNG players play tighter early on in standard 9 or 10 player SNGs, playing for survival. They also make plays because other players don't want to risk their stacks. This is primarily a result of payout structure.

I won seats in both big WSOP satellites last Sunday, so maybe my approach isn't completely off base.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:38 PM

sorry for the confusion but it was really late when i made this post. i'm actually on the button. i didn't realize that i had left this out. also, we are down to 20 people. 9 get packages.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:42 PM

On the button you should fold [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-23-2007, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was wondering what was happening in this thread; seems like an easy fold.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was wondering what was happening in this thread; seems like an easy fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree. i guess when your chips go from 6,000 to 3,300 without playing a hand, QJo starts to look like Aces. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]