Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2006, 01:49 PM

Default Re: alan goehring wins la poker classic

[ QUOTE ]
to be the biggest wpt event (besides the $25k event) you would think they would start to slow the blinds down when it got down to the final table.

[/ QUOTE ]

while most WPT structures post season I have been crap, the Commerce structures have always been uber crap starting at season II.

The thing that sucks though, I don't see how it will effect the WPT as people will still want their shot on TV and will play in those events when they get the chance. If ESPN gave 2 hrs per show like they did for the Rio Circuit event, then they will effect the WPT ratings even more IMO
Old 02-22-2006, 01:50 PM

Why don't the players just not play it out and force them to rollback the blinds? You could just sit there and fold every hand and force them to do something? The players are capable of making something happen for themselves.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why don't the players just not play it out and force them to rollback the blinds? You could just sit there and fold every hand and force them to do something? The players are capable of making something happen for themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this idea.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:23 PM

Default Re: Every WPT final table is a crapshoot

[ QUOTE ]
This is one of the biggest problems, just after the bs release clause. Every WPT final table is structured to be over in a few hours, apparently because the WPT doesn't want to have to pay overtime to their crew. While the host venue at each event sets the structure for the tournaments prior to the final table, once the final 6 are set, they must play the WPT structure, which becomes a crapshoot after an hour or 2 of play.

If you look at a hand-by-hand breakdown, you will notice that at most WPT final tables, they get in about 13-14 hands per level, sometimes less. This is not much better than a Party sng, where the blinds going up every 10 hands. And we all know those things are very much crapshoots at the end. At least with sngs, you can make up for the lack of skill at the end with volume. You use your skill to get deep in the sng, and then use volume to make your win rate. The same is unfortunately true in the WPT. You use skill to get to the final table, and then you have to make up your win rate with volume. However, since there are only a few WPT events per year, it will be a few centuries before you get a fair shake.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

[/ QUOTE ]

While I agree completely with your assessment of the WPT structure Greg, it seems a little funny to me that the guy who was fortunate enough to win the WSOP ME is complaining about the high amount of variance in tournament poker.

You should know from experience, variance can be your friend also.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are some guy that plays 10/20, won a sat into this event, and you are now sitting next to Goehring and Tran, are you going to want to slow down the blinds and give yourself a lesser chance to win? I wouldn't.

While I totally agree that this blind schedule is bad for the knowledgable poker observer and the high-level professional, it is actually good for the average joe that makes it to the final table.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:07 PM

I'm aware of this, but to a certain extent it is just retarded. I'd much rather play Goehring and Tran with 30bbs than 10.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:17 PM

I think they can fix the problem somewhat by making the payout structures flatter. In this event, first place payed 12 times 6th place. If they aren't willing to make the blinds reasonable, I think this is a decent compromise. A 10 BB heads up match for a 1.2 million difference is ludicrous.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:30 PM

Didn't the WPT used to roll back the blinds for the final 6 to allow for more play during the first season? I specifically recall that happening a few times. Now they seem to have gone in the other direction and tried to speed it up. I don't like it.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:13 PM

This always annoyed me about the WPT. I understand the WPT's money worries, but would it really hurt the bottom line that much if they slowed the blinds down a little?

And if its a T.V time issue then why not expand coverage to 3 or 4 hours. People will still watch.

I wish in one of these events the poker players would just stand up and hand over a list of their demands to the Tournament director and refuse to play until this problem is resolved.
Does anyone know if legally the could do it? WPT would HAVE to give in . What are their alternatives? Stop the tournament hope this never happens again and divide the prize pool evenly among the remaining players? or withhold the prizepool entirely? i cant see that happening.

I like the WPT and how they helped poker but I like watching good poker, and the WPT aint good poker with their final table structure.

I hope this changes soon. Its not fair to the players.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:24 PM

this is kinda funny, i was watching some of the older episodes especially from Season 2 and it seems they have quite of bit of money to work with still. They raise preflop would be 120k which is 10% of their stack. This is just effing horrible. I loved various hands being played out when it was deep stacked. Now K8 vs. AJ all in doesn't really interest me.