Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2007, 11:31 AM

Default Re: Soft 4-8 in Vegas

I haven't played in all the rooms in Vegas, but I've never seen a tight table at the MGM. Wynn and Venetian both have been very tight at times.

Caesars was ok the last time I was there in March.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:39 AM

Just my opinion... and I'll restate my quantum theory of limits. If a place offers 2/4, 3/6 & 4/8 and then the next limit is 9/18; 4/8 will NOT be your softest game. Look to 2/4 or 3/6. On the other hand, if the offered limits are 4/8, 6/12 and 9/18, then 4/8 WILL be the softest game at that location.

Application: 4/8 is the LOWEST limit spread at Bellagio. It is the HIGHEST limit (most nights) at MGM. All things being equal, I would play the Bellagio 4/8 because all the clubbers and donkey tourists who acknowledge they are donkey tourists will want to sit down anyway and will ask to sit at the LOWEST limit available at that location.

Based on what I know about LLHE locations in LV, that makes Bellagio my first choice. At least one local has confirmed my opinion. By experience, I play MGM a lot when in LV and apply my theory. I think you are plenty ready for 4/8, but the lower tables at MGM are so crushable and the 4/8 tables gets some attention from those who believe they are good.

My limited experiences at Bally's rate those limit games as incredibly soft as well.

Don't let others bug you about your bankroll. And be aware that, in general, you are in the land of no fold'em hold'em and MUST ADJUST your play accordingly. The live play you encounter will be very different from what you encounter online. Tight PF play and relentless value betting are the keys to EV+ play. If you get on a roll, then throw the bluffs back into your game. And DON'T give too much credit to your opponent until they have proven that they know how to play.

I play these games and by following these rules I came home winning 5 out of my last 6 LV trips. Have fun.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just my opinion... and I'll restate my quantum theory of limits. If a place offers 2/4, 3/6 & 4/8 and then the next limit is 9/18; 4/8 will NOT be your softest game. Look to 2/4 or 3/6. On the other hand, if the offered limits are 4/8, 6/12 and 9/18, then 4/8 WILL be the softest game at that location.

[/ QUOTE ]

I noticed something like that too. At rooms with a variety of low limits, the second lowest game was often the tightest. Filled with guys thinking 'I'm too good to play at [lowest limit]'
Old 06-22-2007, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Application: 4/8 is the LOWEST limit spread at Bellagio. It is the HIGHEST limit (most nights) at MGM. All things being equal, I would play the Bellagio 4/8 because all the clubbers and donkey tourists who acknowledge they are donkey tourists will want to sit down anyway and will ask to sit at the LOWEST limit available at that location.

[/ QUOTE ]

Last time I was at the Bellagio 4/8 game, a player wound up calling 2 bets cold with 54o, called 2 more bets on the AJ5 flop, called another bet (no raise) on 4 turn, then went nuts on the 5 river. The hands were turned over at showdown and he *still* wondered why the pot was being pushed to AA.

I love that game.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

By your theory Bellagio and Wynn would be the places to go. The two toughest 4/8 games I've ever been in were at the Wynn and Bellagio.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

By your theory Bellagio and Wynn would be the places to go. The two toughest 4/8 games I've ever been in were at the Wynn and Bellagio.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suggest you work on your game then, I've played 4/8 in both rooms and I can assure you they are FAR from tough.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I suggest you work on your game then, I've played 4/8 in both rooms and I can assure you they are FAR from tough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you EVER let an opportunity to take a shot at somebody slip by?
Old 06-22-2007, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you EVER let an opportunity to take a shot at somebody slip by?

[/ QUOTE ]

Moral of this story - read Small Stakes Hold'em, published by 2+2. I collect royalties for every book sold, tell them TT sent ya! LOL.

In reality I don't take shots, I give good doses of tough love. often people in this forum hate to hear the honest truth about a game or their play, people in the strat forums don't seem to have a problem with it - in fact they often encourage it, looking to better themselves and their game. Why do you think that is? I have a theory, take a guess.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Note that he didn't necessarily say they were tough. Just that they were the toughest 4/8 games he had played in (I am assuming he is only referring to live).

If I had to rate the actual toughest 4/8 games I ever played in (meaning they weren't as incredibly donktastic) I would quickly think of a couple games I played at Bellagio and Wynn. This isn't to say they were really that tough. But of all the 4/8 games I've played in I don't consider any of them to really have been that tough yet my challenge here is to come with whatever one might have been the toughest.

I also would rate a couple different Bellagio 4/8 games in my top 5 of juiciest I have ever played.

as you said, the variance on these games from room to room can vary.
So there's absolutely nothing wrong or incorrect with saying that you once played in a 4/8 game at Bellagio that was actually not as much of a push-over as most 4/8 games are.

I generally agree with TT's assessment that you can probably find the same type of donktastic games at the 4/8 level pretty much anywhere.
But it was my experience (albeit a very brief one and a couple yrs ago) that a 4/8 game at Bellagio or Wynn can actually play slightly tougher than some of the other 3/6 or 4/8 games I have encountered.

I don't consider the difference to be that huge.

Just that it's not too awful an opinion to state that IF you are going to find a 4/8 game that might play more like .5/1 online instead of .01/.02 online then it might be slightly more likely to be found at a place like Bellagio on a Monday afternoon or something.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He didn't say they were tough. He said they were the toughest he's ever played in. You're clearly taking a shot at this guy.