Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2007, 12:13 PM

Default Re: When is a good time to move up ?

It is possible to move up with 10 buyins if you're willing to jump down each time you lose one. I don't think of my poker roll as hit X, play Y. Have X, mix in shots of Y,Z; fall <X, play ONLY Y.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
30 buyins for current level. then move up.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's so backwards. That means you'll have 15 buyins for the level you're at. I've sat at 4 tables and had nearly half my roll in at one time. I just had a 20 buy-in downswing. 15 buyins is suicide.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:28 PM

I like to have 30 buyins for the next level when I move up, but that is prolly a little conservative. Also I need to be beating my current level by a pretty solid amount. Like I wouldn't move up to 400 if I was only beating 200 for 1 ptBB/100.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
30 buyins for current level. then move up.

[/ QUOTE ]

no
Old 06-21-2007, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
- I take shots when I feel I'm at the top of my game.
- I move up for good when I feel my hourly rate there is higher than at my regular level.

My bankroll doesn't really matter in my decision to move up. As long as I can buy in at 4 tables and have a few buyins left to reload, I'll take it. When I moved to 200NL I had a 2.5K bankroll. If I get really unlucky, I can move back down or redeposit anyway (so yeah actually my total bankroll is bigger), but that has not happened so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't really good advice. I mean, bankroll is probably the #1 thing you should consider before moving up. Next would probably be your winrate at your current level.

Personally 20 buyins is fine to move up with at the next level if you move down when you lose 5 buyins. 5 buyins can go pretty quickly though and just be variance so you might want to move up with 25-30 buyins and take a 10 buyin shot or something.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:37 PM

Bankroll is a limiting factor. You need a bankroll for your new limit before you move up permanently and disregarding that rule is very risky.

Take shots though. When I am getting ready to move up levels I am always on the lookout for good tables at the new limit and play on one or two of them (I play 4-6). Gradually increase the number of tables at the new limit until they become the majority of tables you play.

Personally I think good tables are more important than the specific limit that they are. I am regularly at 3 different limits at the same time as long as the tables are good.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:55 PM

my BR says 13k and i only play 200NL, actually taking a cooler atm and planning on playing 100NL after a 10-15buy-in downswing on 4-5k hands. I'm probably a nit, but it just hurts so bad being sucked out by a 2 outer for money you spent alot of time on making.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:30 PM

I move up when I feel im crushing my current limit and happy with my game, I like to take a shot with 20~ buyins, and if I do well I will continue to play until I have about 25 buyins then i'll move up. (dropping down again if i drop below 20 buyins for that level).

Has worked well for me anyway.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:46 PM

I'll play nl200 on a 6k roll if I think I'm on top of my game, if not I usually want at least 7500. If games are good though I've been known to play a few tables when my roll is as low as 4k.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:54 PM

i think this question depends a lot on your situation as well. if you are in college or older and have a good job go ahead and be very aggressive w/ your br (taking shots or moving up anywhere from 20-30 bis). if poker is a substantial part of your income (or all of it) either set aside 6months-year's worth of living expenses and be aggro or don't move up unless you have 40+ bis.