Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2007, 03:50 AM

Default Re: Smooth Calling Raises With Aces

[ QUOTE ]
Ok 3 bet but what about the NLHE principle of trapping? Why can't I just get one hand where villain raises with AQ for ex. Flop comes queen high and I stack him lol ? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

At micro stakes, villain calls your 3-bet with AQ and stacks off on a Q-high flop anyway.

Poker's about winning the most money, not about trying to make the fanciest plays.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not 3betting with Aces is criminal. You deserve to lose as much money as possible whenever you don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually think the OP should be sent to prison.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not 3betting with Aces is criminal. You deserve to lose as much money as possible whenever you don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooops apparently the consensus is that I belong in prison [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]. My bad.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooops apparently the consensus is that I belong in prison [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]. My bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay fine you don't belong in prison. Better?
Old 06-21-2007, 04:55 AM

Smooth calling Aces just makes it more difficult to get money in postflop, and gives villains a good chance to outflop you. I'd do it HU or against particularly untrusting opponents, but in the hand you posted you've done it OUT OF POSITION which is just a horrible horrible crime! If you did it in position and raised the flop, thats a whole different story.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but in the hand you posted you've done it OUT OF POSITION which is just a horrible horrible crime!

[/ QUOTE ]

OP shall be hanged by the neck until dead.

Srsly, though, the standard plays are standard for a reason.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok 3 bet but what about the NLHE principle of trapping? Why can't I just get one hand where villain raises with AQ for ex. Flop comes queen high and I stack him lol ? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's all about bet sizing. Bet enough to build a big pot.

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
Hero: $72.60
UTG+1: $46.75
CO: $47.25
Button: $53.15
SB: $8.65
BB: $98.15

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $22</font>, 3 folds, <font color="#cc0000">SB calls all-in $8.4</font>, BB calls.

Flop: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($52.65, 2 players + 1 all-in - Main pot: $25.95, Sidepot 1: $26.7)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero is all-in $50.6</font>, BB calls.

Turn: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($153.85, 1 player + 2 all-in - Main pot: $25.95, Sidepot 1: $127.9)

River: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($153.85, 1 player + 2 all-in - Main pot: $25.95, Sidepot 1: $127.9)

Results:
Final pot: $153.85
<font color="#ffffff">SB showed Ts Jc</font>
<font color="#ffffff">BB showed Qc Ac</font>
<font color="#ffffff">Hero showed Ad As</font>
Old 06-21-2007, 06:15 AM

LOL at BB.
You must have had really maniacal image.
W/e - if you make that kind of raises you must be perceived as maniac.
well played, nh.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The main reason you should reraise preflop is to make it incorrect for lower pairs to call you. In the hand you posted, you got raised, how can you know for sure that the raise was not a set? The answer is that you can't, especially as you didn't reraise preflop to fold out most pairs. And even if you are up against a loose player who is raising alot, you want to charge them as much as possible preflop for them to hit their miracle 2 pair or better.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:32 AM

I think trapping is highly overrated at this limit. What are the weaknesses of low limit players that we want to exploit? Mostly, it's that they call too much and are too willing to play marginal hands out of position for big pots. People pay off your big hands without disguise. That isn't a big issue.

If a player calls too much, the it is in your best interest to bet more when you have the best hand. In your example, you actually got the outcome you wanted. All the money went in when you had, by far, the best hand. But, I would really question not raising here. You have a 1 pair hand out of position. Don't play that way. Playing OOP is losing poker.

The other side of the coin is that stacks are generally around 100BB in these games. AA is very difficult to get away from when stacks are around 100BB. When that raise comes in, often the range a villain may have compels you to call. In your HH, the villain has a bad top pair. This happens often enought that you really have to get it all-in. So, one of the things you really want to do is price in your risk pre-flop so that when the villain does flop two pair or a set, he isn't getting the right money. You can stack off correctly in all cases. In your example, the stack sizes are a little awkward to fully price in your risk with only one other player in the pot pre-flop. But, given that he is probably going to call with that piece of crap hand, then it if certainly in your best interest to let him.