Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2007, 02:47 PM

Default Re: Live 3/6 KTs hand

I think our equity edge pf, if any, is minute. The benefits of raising would be to get position on the 2 limpers along with our fold equity and our, hopefully, better post-flop play. If we can't expect players to fold behind then I don't like the raise because KTs will play ok multiway and raising hurts our implied odds, especially when we do not have position.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:53 PM

Interesting hand. PF raise I like better than limping in but it is not what I would call a horrible mistake. The rest looks fine but the turn has me thinking a lot now. I hate to slowplay in LLHE but like the OP said there are some rare occasions to do it and go for an overcall. I think I like a turn call more and more here.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
raise pf.

[/ QUOTE ]

Call preflop. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

are you on the drugs again? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

seriously. raising has sooooo many benefits. you're isolating loose limpers. you often have the best hand. you buy the button a good portion of the time. you set up fold equity on the flop when a number of scarecards come. you can take a free card on the flop if you wish. so many good things come from raising. raise. raise! raise!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the lowest king suited you are raising here and whats the earliest position you are raising KTs?

I'd rather have more people in the hand to try and win a huge pot when we make a big hand rather than reducing the field so we are more likely to win when we miss/hit one pair. But atleast we arn't arguing over playing or folding. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-19-2007, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the 10 on the turn ruins any draws, so i think a raise here is good.i dont see anyone calling here without at least an 8, so get the price from villian

[/ QUOTE ]

However Ax and Kx often overcall here even if there's no way they're good.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What's the lowest king suited you are raising here and whats the earliest position you are raising KTs?

[/ QUOTE ]

KTs is pretty much the cutoff. K9s for sure.

the limpers need to have very low standards to make much worse than that correct. that, or our raise needs to be able to fold out hands like KT or KJ which can be unusual in a live game.

[ QUOTE ]
I'd rather have more people in the hand to try and win a huge pot when we make a big hand rather than reducing the field so we are more likely to win when we miss/hit one pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

scooping a big pot when you hit your draw is great, but you're going to win the most often with top pair. raising will help make sure it stands up when you hit it. there are counters to this argument, but the fishiness of the live games will overrule them. remember, these guys will often pay off with very, very weak holdings.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

KTs is pretty much the cutoff. K9s for sure.

the limpers need to have very low standards to make much worse than that correct. that, or our raise needs to be able to fold out hands like KT or KJ which can be unusual in a live game.

[ QUOTE ]
I'd rather have more people in the hand to try and win a huge pot when we make a big hand rather than reducing the field so we are more likely to win when we miss/hit one pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

scooping a big pot when you hit your draw is great, but you're going to win the most often with top pair. raising will help make sure it stands up when you hit it. there are counters to this argument, but the fishiness of the live games will overrule them. remember, these guys will often pay off with very, very weak holdings.

[/ QUOTE ]

With that reasoning would you not play KTo here then also?
Old 06-19-2007, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With that reasoning would you not play KTo here then also?

[/ QUOTE ]

not necessarily. it doesn't have as many ways to win.

say we raise KTo and get a couple coldcallers plus the blinds. we are in much worse shape multiway than we are with KTs.

KTs is still an equity hog multiway. it has more ways to win than just top pair. say we flop a strong draw in an unraised pot. if we river a King or Ten it holds up much less often 6 handed than it does 3 or 4 handed. these pots add up to a pretty significant sum over time.

as usual, the true function of the correct play is typically dictated by the preflop standards and postflop crappiness of the limpers relative to our pre and postflop edges over their play. this should be inherent in all of our decision-making. likewise, anytime we put pressure on those behind us and encourage them to fold a hand like A7 or KJ we gain tremendously.