Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: preflop percentages
e-mail 5 50.00%
post 5 50.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-19-2007, 02:53 PM

Default Re: 6max poll WSOP 2500

Like I said last night I'd call but not be real happy about the situation. He has to figure there's a good chance we hit the K and he's potting it into us? I mean sure he can have a big draw and be trying to bet/3bet or something but I don't know if he would play his draws that aggressively against the other big stack, and it's hard for him to have any kind of straight draw to go with a flush draw here unless he limp/called a fairly weak hand.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:56 PM

But if he's leading that range, isn't he always two-barreling them? I mean, it's not like I have a better alternative, but from what I've seen on this guy, calling him on a two-flush k high flop is just begging him to lead again on almost every turn.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:58 PM

Easy call because there's no real worry that he'll 3-barrel us UI. Or, at least, you haven't given that indication.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:05 PM

call the flop and as he goes to make a bet on the turn say all in as soon as he moves his chips into the middle.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:10 PM

Meh, I'm a weak-tight nit. I think it'll cost us a lot to slow him down and find out whether we are good. If we call, two-barrelling from him is inevitable (what are the scare turns that he checks? I don't see many). If we raise (reasonable raise would be to 45K or so), he may shove a hand that is behind us, like a flush draw. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

PS. Vote for folding, if that's not clear.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:18 PM

if you raise this flop, how much do you raise to and will you fold to a shove? I like either instacalling without saying a word or take a while and probe him a bit, then call.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:19 PM

Don't even bother discussing raise. Only people who mentioned raising are the ones who should be posting in the 3r thread in regular MTT.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:24 PM

For those who said raise, heres the problem:

You probably don't get much information, you can't call a 3 bet, you fold out a bunch of worse hands but rarely a better one (meaning you basically turn ur hand, which has showdown value, into a bluff), raising may appear weaker than calling to him.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:27 PM

corkins is a big fan of the all in, and he's not afraid to stick it in on a draw. raising just invites him to stick it in on a draw.

call flop, evaluate turn. preferably by looking at corkins and not the board until it's your turn to act.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1k/2k/300. He limps UTG I raise red 9s to 8k folds back to hoyt he calls after 10seconds. Flop is Kc 3c 2x hoyt instaleads 17k. Note we have about 170k behind

[/ QUOTE ]

What's your previous MP/UTG+1 raising patterns at the table?

Generally, at this level, if you decide to raise PF 4BB, aggressive utg limper 90% will call. And, be expect to use additional at least 40K play post flop HU against aggressive players here. How do you spend that 40K is the key.

On the flop:

Raising to 40K-45K (pot)isn't bad. He's out of position and called your PF raise, now you raise his flop bet, you've shown great strength. Out of position, he folds most non-made hands and would just call with flush draw and pp. I doubt he'd push with AcXc (no pair) here. You get information about his hand, with position, you can play him at turn,river.

A solid player leads the flop here shows most time pp. But villain is aggressive. His leading the flop is wide and basically wants to see if you have a King (AK) QQ,JJ,TT or under pair/flush draw. He would expect a K/QQ,JJ,TT to raise. A bad thing about call is we tell him we basically want to keep the pot small and get a cheap showdown, which exposes our hand isn't strong enough on that board.

If we just call, based on the above read, he may come again on the turn, we've wasted 17K+8K and we still have a tough decision. Don't waste your bullets by 8K here, 17K there, 24K there... put a 40-50K raise on the flop to terminate the action. If he pushes back, he has the gutz and you still can read him. Still better than calling the flop, calling the turn and fold to a shove at the river.

Since he leads out the flop, I wouldn't expect a peaceful cheap showdown from him if we just call. Against 1st generation, you play stronger, they are afraid of you most of the time.