Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2007, 12:09 AM

Default Re: Exiting on the AC expressway I saw a billboard for.......

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand how federal law could prohibit something in some states and not in others. Seems like it should violate some part of the constitution, but not sure which.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe I've read that, if NJ ever decided to allow sports betting, it would make this argument in court.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unlike single-game betting allowed in Las Vegas, a Delaware sports lottery would require combination or parlay bets - selecting both a winning team and the total points scored by both teams, for example - to retain the element of chance from the original 1970s game.

[/ QUOTE ]

So if Delaware re-legalized sports betting, it would have to be of the same style as was allowed in the 1970s? That is, the federal restriction not only prevents states from allowing sports betting if they prohibited it altogether before 1994, it also prevents those states which previously allowed some sports betting from authorizing new kinds of betting (e.g. Las Vegas style in Delaware)?
Old 06-18-2007, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Unlike single-game betting allowed in Las Vegas, a Delaware sports lottery would require combination or parlay bets - selecting both a winning team and the total points scored by both teams, for example - to retain the element of chance from the original 1970s game.

[/ QUOTE ]

So if Delaware re-legalized sports betting, it would have to be of the same style as was allowed in the 1970s? That is, the federal restriction not only prevents states from allowing sports betting if they prohibited it altogether before 1994, it also prevents those states which previously allowed some sports betting from authorizing new kinds of betting (e.g. Las Vegas style in Delaware)?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct. In order to offer sports wagering, Delaware must follow the format as written in the state laws that allowed it to be "grandfathered" in under the federal law. Any changes to the law would then change the wagering format and make it illegal.