Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2007, 12:04 AM

Default Re: Some thoughts on game selection

I think another super-basic strategy is the % to the flop.

It is much less inclined to fluctuate just based on variance. you can have really high avg. pots with great, tough players at the table, but you absolutely will not see a table with 55% vpip where there are a ton of tough tables. A very high % means lots of LP play pf, which is what TAGs are going to profit from. Plus the fact that a table with 55% vpip probably doesn't have the best postflop play in the world. Overall, a more reliable measure than avg. pot, although avg. pot is by no means worthless.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:18 AM

I use the % to see flop strategy.

However, how important is stack size to you guys? I use stacksize as my #1 priority, cause I'm trying to stack people. Do you guys really sit down at tables wiht a bunch of $2 stacks even if the VPIP is 80%?
Old 06-17-2007, 12:30 AM

Over the past how many hands are these stats collected anyway? I just go to the highest pot size and players per flop open and stay there.

Short stacks don't bother me, they seem a lot more willing to give away money than deep stacks -- if anything I prefer playing with them. None of them even know how to play short 'correctly'. They buy in for $2 at NL10 and are in 60% of hands, just total spew. I could do without the tables where I am the big stack at like $15 and the next highest is $3 and everyone else has like 15XBB though... doesn't happen enough to care about.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:31 AM

My strategy is % to flop and then stack sizes. I look for stacks mostly greater than 60BB. SOmetimes can take a while but seems to work.

Stu
Old 06-17-2007, 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think another super-basic strategy is the % to the flop.

It is much less inclined to fluctuate just based on variance. you can have really high avg. pots with great, tough players at the table, but you absolutely will not see a table with 55% vpip where there are a ton of tough tables. A very high % means lots of LP play pf, which is what TAGs are going to profit from. Plus the fact that a table with 55% vpip probably doesn't have the best postflop play in the world. Overall, a more reliable measure than avg. pot, although avg. pot is by no means worthless.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very good Danny, When I am game selecting I look for tables with both high Avg. Pot and % of players that see flop.

I try to look for tables with % to flop between 35%and above. I also try and find tables with avg. pot size of 8 or greater.

A table that has both of those aspects usually works well.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:42 AM

Interesting strategy. The only thing about sitting at the new table is you don't get to dictate who you're sitting with. I also use the % to see flop. I like it high, but to be honest I don't like it to be enormously high because that just indicates a free-for-all maniac table. And then I look at stack sizes. I like for everyone to have at least 50BB's. If you have even one shorty every time you're in a hand with him it changes the whole dynamic of the hand, and I like deepstacked play much better (and there's more $$$ to be won obviously). If you sit at an empty table, you could end up playing three-handed with two 10BB stacks and have little to gain but a lot to lose. That's the one thing that I wouldn't like about this strategy. But then again, you could always just get up from the table if that is the case. I'll try it out and see how it goes. And I agree few regulars are going to seek out empty tables. I never even thought of this and always sat in full to near-full tables. With this post though the regulars might overflood the empty tables now and then it would backfire, eh? (95% joke)
Old 06-17-2007, 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I try to look for tables with % to flop between 35%and above. I also try and find tables with avg. pot size of 8 or greater.

[/ QUOTE ]I look for tables of 43% to flop or > and only one short stack at the table.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:07 AM

Nice post.

I usually use the pot size to determine my tables, but its a flawed strategy because I'll get to the table and find 3 short stacks going all in all over the place warping the average pot size.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:17 AM

nh sir.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:57 AM

BUMP

I tried this strategy yesterday and it worked well.