Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2007, 07:39 PM

Default Re: Pulling it Out before it Hits Bottom

This happened to Ian Poulter about a year or so ago in a tournament. About a 5 foot putt. Hit it dead center, with just the right speed and it hit the bottom of the cup and popped out.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This happened to Ian Poulter about a year or so ago in a tournament. About a 5 foot putt. Hit it dead center, with just the right speed and it hit the bottom of the cup and popped out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that this happened but I don't know how. I hit literally thousands of five footers from all sorts of angles at all sorts of speeds dead center every year. This has never happened to me - pretty amazing.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It also happened to joe daley in Q school. he tapped a 2 footer in the center of the cup and it popped back out to rest on the lip. he missed making the tour by 1 shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Joe's putt was the result of the cup inside the hole not being installed properly.
His putt went in dead center, perfect speed. It it the back of the cup that was not deep enough, and popped back out and hung on the lip.
Sick.
I'm happy to note that Joe did not shoot himself or anyone else after missing his card by one shot!

side note on Joe.
We were in S. Africa together, and I enjoyed getting to know him.
He is one of the most organized, prepared people I've ever met.
And the tightest!
ex. A bunch of us are at a pizza place in S. Africa, where the food is incredibly inexpensive (and good).
To save funds, Joe gets the soup. Everyone splits the tab evenly except Joe, because his part is considerably less. That's fine.
But then he pulls out pencil and paper and begins to do the math to get it to the exact Rand his 15% tip!
I think his lunch, tip included, was about a buck and a half!
I always pull for Joe to make a good check. But I feel for his caddy!
Old 06-16-2007, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've never seen or heard of it coming all the way back out

[/ QUOTE ]
I saw this once. A guy I was caddying for hit a putt that fell right in the hole and popped back out. I couldn't believe it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This happened to me once. I was pissed because I felt the holes were not installed properly at this course. The ball did not hit the bottom, rather it hit the top edge of the metal cup on its way down popped straight back at me and sat on the lip.