Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2007, 09:52 PM

Default Re: Anyone got an weird/unusual golf stories?

As a caddy, the club had a tourney. (lots of groups watching the first tee as they wait to tee off)This guy on the first tee swings out of his shoes. He is looking out to the fairway and says "where is it?" the ball had bounced a few inches in front of his tee, with so much spin, it actually spun back about 2 inches behind his tee. (the gallery couldnt help but laugh)

Saw a guy crack a golfball in half with a driver. (ruling was to play the half furthest from the hole) he did get to drop a new ball at that spot.

Watched a duffer on a short approach from behind a tree hit a wedge. His ball bounced off a tire from a mower or whatever maint. equipment it was, and bounced back to the exact spot of where he hit the shot. (this got a chuckle from his playing partners) he hits again, the ball hits the tree he was trying to go over, hits the same tire from the previous shot, and again bounces back toward him, this time landing about 1-2 feet from the original spot.(this put his group into a ROFL fit)

I was playing Gull Lake in Michigan (annual golf and excessive drinking weekend with friends) which has some pretty steep hills. Morning round on a wet course, I have a blind second shot. I drive up to the top of the hill to get a look at where I want to go. I drive the cart back downhill toward my ball and pull a Starsky and Hutch turn, and hit the brake. Since the course is wet....I am sliding backwards down the hill toward a pondscum swamp. I have the cart floored, get no grip, try the brake again...still not slowing, turn the wheel to change direction, nope still going staight downhill backwards. My friends are laughing their asses off, then realize I'm heading to the water and the laughs turn to ooohs and aaahhs. Finally level off and come to a stop just short of the pondscum, but that story is revisited every year when we play that hole.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:26 PM

I have a few from when I used to work at a golf course/caddie. My favorite was during an outing that was going off as a shotgun. As the carts were driving out (i.e. pretty busy hectic moment before 5 hours of freedom) out boss yells, "Hey guys, I need you at the bottom of the hill!" You see, to get out to the course from the pro shop you had to drive down a fairly steep hill. The hill went down to the first tee then kept going down to the 18th green. During outings we'd have the front nine drive by the first tee and the back 9 continue down to the 18th.

Anyway, boss yells to get to the bottom of the hill. We all replied with something like "Gimme a minute, little busy now." Well, that was going to work. The other thing I should mention was that if you actually continued TOWARD the 18th green (once the cart path stopped doing so) there was a bunker. Here's a visual:

Apparently some guy had a little more trouble than we anticipated negotiating that turn. A few of us ran down the hill only to find the cart completely in the bunker and on its side. As we were tipping it upright and trying to get it out of the bunker the guy asked us one of the more frightening questions I've ever heard, "Which one is the brake again?" Christ.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:30 AM

When I was learning how to play, my friends and I would play at Bethpage -- mainly the Green course. I didn't have clubs, so I would rent there. Their rental clubs were probably from 1950, and they showed their age.

I wasn't very good. So one round, we're on I think the 17th, teeing off. I hit so far behind the ball with the Driver that its rusted shaft snapped in two and the head of the driver came up and walloped me in the head, knocking me out.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:02 AM

I was playing a very big Amateur tournament when I was 15 yrs old, it was a 36 hole event all in the one day at the very famously difficult NSW golf club in Sydney.

It's on a cliff a bit like Pebble Beach only instead of nice trees and sparkling blue water it has a ton of salt bush and angry seas crashing on the rocks.

http://www.nswgolfclub.com.au/guests...r/hole16.mhtml

I come to this hole here the sixteenth or 34th as it were if not leading then very close to it. My 74 in the morning was one shot back and I was 1 under in the afternoon.

On this hole you can see it's a dogleg left, and I sniped my tee shot into the salt bush on the left hand side. I take an unplayable and take it back far enough to clear the salt bush and set about trying to figure out what line I need to take to hit the green. Long story short, I got up and down for 13 on the hole, then finished birdie/ birdie and lost by 5 shots.

I still scratch my head and wonder why I didn't just pop it over the corner and hit a wedge in for my fourth shot. I think at 15 I had yet to lay up, and I probably didn't lay up for a few years after that.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh yea,
Just remebered after reading the post above.

Par three 170 yards, lake about 30 yards in front of the tee. Thin my iron badly and kill a swan! Stopped the ball getting wet though. Pitch and putt for par!

[/ QUOTE ]

A birdie and a par on the same hole [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 06-14-2007, 06:08 AM

A lady past her first youth in my home club years ago, had severe problems with getting the ball up in the air, it would start bouncing on the ground after perhaps 30 yards.

She was playing a hole where there was a stream across the fairway about 40 yards off the tee. As she didn't want to lay up, she decided to tee the ball very high to make it carry.

The result was that she hit her shot below the ball, which simply fell onto the grass and her tee flew in a nice arc into the stream.

BTW golf is a sport where you place a small ball weighing a few grams on a larger ball weighing millions of tonnes, and the beginners try to hit the big ball.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:06 AM

Once I was working in the shop and an old woman passed out on my course in the middle of August in about 85deg heat and I was sent out in a buggy to go and bring out some water to the far end of the course. When I got there she was gray and wasn't moving much and I was like 'Woh, I'm ringing an ambulance'. Other old women were just like 'no she'll be ok she just needs a drink' So I held a brolley over her for about 15 minutes and then went back to the carpark to show the ambulance the way over and then they came over and rushed her off to hospital. Paramedic was like 'If you left her much longer she easily could have died'

Saving lives all in a days work for a shop monkey [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-14-2007, 09:13 AM

Also just thought of a funny one.

There was a group of us just about to tee-off once when I was about 12 or so (mostly the same age) at my members only-type club when this big guy comes down with his wife(seriously, he's like 6'9") and goes 'I'm the secretary here I have priority, you can wait'. And acts like a total prick. Tees off and hits the fattest shot you have EVER seen, ball travels about 6 feet. Puts driver in bag and gets out a long iron and does EXACTLY the same again. HUUUUUUUGE divot. He's still on the tee box and hasnt passed the ladies tee yet. He hits AGAIN and hits this awful fat-shank that goes about 15ft vertically right into a load of trees and at this point we all just absolutely crack up laughing and he looks daggers at us and walks down the fairway.

It was so funny.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Once I was working in the shop and an old woman passed out on my course in the middle of August in about 85deg heat and I was sent out in a buggy to go and bring out some water to the far end of the course. When I got there she was gray and wasn't moving much and I was like 'Woh, I'm ringing an ambulance'. Other old women were just like 'no she'll be ok she just needs a drink' So I held a brolley over her for about 15 minutes and then went back to the carpark to show the ambulance the way over and then they came over and rushed her off to hospital. Paramedic was like 'If you left her much longer she easily could have died'

[/ QUOTE ]

I didnt understand any of that [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-14-2007, 12:47 PM

There is a golf course in Denmark, where a hill from the 15th green to the 16th tee is called "old-age pensioners killer" each year they lose a couple of elderly members on that hill. That hill is very steep, even for us only halfway to our pensions. But they do go doing stuff they love, not a bad way to go after all.

Come to think of it would that be a 'golf curse'?