Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2007, 02:40 PM

Default Re: I make sweet value bets

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The flop raise is easy, the only thing you are behind in equity is a K or a pair of J, Q or As.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you miss a lot of value if you raise the flop. Just call down and if you hit your flush or Ace raise him.

[/ QUOTE ]

You get to showdown A-hi for 1 SB less if you miss, there is some value in that. At .25/.50 I have no clue what the flop donk means from unknown villain so it's really hard to evaluate this line. I do know that at 3/6 it is not at all rare to find villains who will donk 100% of flops after getting 3-bet PF.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:20 PM

To focus on the flop play, I think you have to decide either you probably have him beat, don't currently have him beat but you are not a big dog, or else you are well behind. The only thing I am well behind that I can imagine is Kx. And I know I am a sucker but I tend not to automatically give people credit for having a card when there are two them on the flop (especially HU, unless their play says otherwise), the fact that he bets the flop means pretty much nothing. It really makes me think I am more likely to be ahead of him than if he had checked. So, in that case I guess I should call the flop and raise the turn?

I'm sorry ___1___ but I really don't understand what you are saying. It's important for people not to raise flops if they might be behind or could be ahead? You just took a pretty unspecific comment and said it was something vital to understand, so I just want to be clear about exactly what you are saying.

I think I do tend to be overly aggressive on the flop sometimes, but I also think that I call the flop to raise the river too often, so who knows what is wrong with me. The thing with this hand was that I wasn't absolutely positive I was ahead of him and you can't count on the flush to come, but my chances were good enough that I wanted to see a showdown or him folding. So, I felt like the line I took was less likely to result in my folding. Calling down to the river looking for a flush seemed weak, when there was no reason to think he had me dominated. Also, at this level at least you sometimes see people bet call the flop and check fold the turn. I kind of wanted to see that here and thought there was a decent chance of it happening.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:45 PM

all he's saying is that the guy has 4 outs if you have the best hand (which isnt even true but whatever, he can have hearts too for 6 outs).

but either way it's 4, 5, or 6 outs if you're best, which means you don't need to worry terribly about getting those hands to fold, especially since they will likely keep bluffing at you.

that said i don't think it's not well understood. almost everyone plays super passively now in this spot.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:13 PM

1) finding out if ur behind to a K gets u nothing. u have to call a 3bet or turn cr, when u could just call call call UI and see his actual cards for the same price. ditch the thought of raising to find out where ur at in limit, its almost never correct and life gets so much better when ur not putting in stupid raises and putting urself in tough spots.

2) the hands u are behind to never fold to either ur flop raise or turn follow thru on a paired board, atleast not often enough vs the types of players who donk those holdings. They bet 66 and calldown. The hands u are ahead against u really dont mind them betting the flop and turn for u, no reason to lose A7o here or JT if they ll just keep firing.

3) raising takes away initiative, so when u do hit on the turn or river u only get to put in 1 bb instead of having him betting into u and getting to raise. ur flop raise isnt bad vs most of his range equity wise since an 8, A, J or heart will do it, but ur implied odds go down when u take away initiative and occasionally u ll have to put in 3bets or call a turn cr with only 7-9 outs
Old 06-14-2007, 04:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
To focus on the flop play, I think you have to decide either you probably have him beat, don't currently have him beat but you are not a big dog, or else you are well behind

[/ QUOTE ]

anyway calling i the best option imho