Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2007, 11:07 PM

Default Re: Another odd baseball rules question.

Also, are you sure he didn't tag him with both hands? A lot of times, a runner will basically surrender himself, and the fielder might touch him with the glove hand and then the ball hand. If it was just the empty glove though, then like the other replies have stated, the runner is not out.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:13 PM

Section 2.00:

A TAG is the action of a fielder in touching a base with his body while holding the ball securely and firmly in his hand or glove; or touching a runner with the ball, or with his hand or glove holding the ball, while holding the ball securely and firmly in his hand or glove.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Section 2.00:

A TAG is the action of a fielder in touching a base with his body while holding the ball securely and firmly in his hand or glove; or touching a runner with the ball, or with his hand or glove holding the ball, while holding the ball securely and firmly in his hand or glove.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, he can touch the bag with any part of his body, but to touch the runner it has to be the hand or glove with the ball in it.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:10 AM

i remember arguing with an umpire about this in tball
the umpire was not happy that a 6 year old knew something about the rules that he didn't
he was even more mad when he found out i was right
Old 06-12-2007, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i remember arguing with an umpire about this in tball
the umpire was not happy that a 6 year old knew something about the rules that he didn't
he was even more mad when he found out i was right

[/ QUOTE ]

He found out? Like, you whipped out a rule book after the play? Or you called him at his house after he looked it up? That would be awesome if you seriously made him pull the rulebook out in tball.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He found out? Like, you whipped out a rule book after the play? Or you called him at his house after he looked it up? That would be awesome if you seriously made him pull the rulebook out in tball.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember arguing with an ump in Little League about whether a foul ball could come back into fair territory before it reached the bag. Which didn't actually happen, just that the ump had yelled "Foul" as soon as my bunt rolled barely across the foul line, and I told him he should have waited until the fielder picked it up to make the call. He told me I was wrong, and when I went back to the dugout and told my coach about it (after laying down a successful bunt, I might add), he told me I was wrong, too. Philistines.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:57 AM

actually there was a team waiting to play on the field after us
after the game one of the coaches on the waiting team went up to the umpire and told him he was wrong and showed him the rule book
i actually think the baseball rule book was the first book i read once i learned to read
umpires really dont like smart ass kids who know the rules
Old 06-12-2007, 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
actually there was a team waiting to play on the field after us
after the game one of the coaches on the waiting team went up to the umpire and told him he was wrong and showed him the rule book
i actually think the baseball rule book was the first book i read once i learned to read
umpires really dont like smart ass kids who know the rules

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha awesome.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

players really dont like smart ass umps who DON'T know the rules

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed and Amen.

MicroBob recently pointed out a book called "The Rules and Lore of Baseball" published in the early 80's. Great read. Gives a lot of amusing anecdotes regarding all this kind of stuff.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I did not see the play.

Are you sure that the ball was not in his bare hand and the bare hand in the glove when the runner was tagged? (the proper protocol for a rundown)

If he was tagged with an empty glove he is not out by the letter of the rulebook. Did you notice if the umpire called the runner out or if he simply made no hand signal after the tag?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is my recollection that he tagged the runner with an empty glove when the ball was in his other hand. I did not see a signal by the umpire. The player did leave the field without issue, so if he was not called out, he certainly was out after that.

Like I implied in the OP, it was not a controversial play in this instance but in a more important game I suspect it could have been.

KJS