Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2007, 02:00 PM

Default Re: What should the dealer do? What would you want them to do?

[ QUOTE ]
I saw #3 happen once (although on the turn rather than the flop) and no one said a thing about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes me shudder. [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
Old 06-11-2007, 04:45 PM

Me, when I see one hand is drawing dead, I just quickly and casually toss the turn & river or river (whichever the sitaution) out there without bothering to tuck the burn in with the others or making sure the turn/river are nice and even with the flop or anything else like that - just as long as all 5 are showing in the end, its all good for me. Ditto when, say, I get AK v. AK AI pre-flop and the flop misses any flushes happening, I just rip through the last two cards and carry on.

Option C is a super big no-no.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:00 PM

I agree there's no need for the dealer to hollywood, regardless whether one player was drawing dead. Just deal the cards at a normal speedy pace. Once folks are all in, get their cards turned over (in a tourney) and just burn flipflipflip flop burn turn burn river and you're done. I'm ok with a couple second pause to look around and verify nobody's yelling "STOP, THAT'S WRONG" and perhaps to give people who care just a moment to reflect on who's ahead and what the dog needs to catch, but get on with it quickly.

Do wait for their cards to be turned over to start, though, so as to avoid having one of 'em bullet muck face down. I've seen that happen in tourneys--two players get all in and the dealer immediately deals the flop and before he can put the turn or river out one of the players who hasn't turned his hand over yet mucks 'em.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I saw #3 happen once (although on the turn rather than the flop) and no one said a thing about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes me shudder. [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, that is stupid. I've heard of the river card matching another card on the board........hand doesn't count and give chips back.

Unreal they wouldn't deal the rest of the hand!
Old 06-11-2007, 09:18 PM

Unless the normal procedure is to stall for dramatic effect ala wpt, then burn and turn at normal speed is a no brainer.

Under no circumstances should the dealer ever blast out the last two cards, or not bother dealing the last two. Although your opponent might be drawing dead, some players might not see it, so the dealer should always finish out the board.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:36 PM

Results:

This was one of my first B&M tourneys so I didn't know what the dealer was supposed to do, and since it wasn't televised (lol) or for really serious cash I didn't think at the time that it was a really big deal.

However, the dealer did option 3)... she turned her palms face up and spread her hands as if "presenting" the flop to us, pushed the pot to me and starting reshuffling the deck. I was a bit surprised but like I said, inexperienced at the time so I didn't say anything. The guy I busted walked away and IIRC he was kind of like "well that was anticlimactic" (the look on his face, he didn't say that)... and he was ITM, too! (just barely).

This was like 10 months ago and a complete trip report is in the STT forum somewhere if anyone cares.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Results:

This was one of my first B&M tourneys so I didn't know what the dealer was supposed to do, and since it wasn't televised (lol) or for really serious cash I didn't think at the time that it was a really big deal.

However, the dealer did option 3)... she turned her palms face up and spread her hands as if "presenting" the flop to us, pushed the pot to me and starting reshuffling the deck. I was a bit surprised but like I said, inexperienced at the time so I didn't say anything. The guy I busted walked away and IIRC he was kind of like "well that was anticlimactic" (the look on his face, he didn't say that)... and he was ITM, too! (just barely).

This was like 10 months ago and a complete trip report is in the STT forum somewhere if anyone cares.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now we know why these dealers should be reading this forum. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 06-12-2007, 12:29 AM

Tap burn turn, tap burn turn. The tap will give you all the pause you really need. You still deal all the cards... after all, it is technically possible a 5th jack to show up and foul the hand, or you might have overlooked a straight flush draw, or who knows, you could have even forgot another player in the hand.

Best bet is to just stick to procedure and don't take any shortcuts.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:36 PM

Yes the fifth J would be the guy's only out holding KQ. haha
Old 06-13-2007, 10:39 PM

....then its a chopped pot.