Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2007, 04:36 PM

Default Re: Your Boss Spits In Your Face Everyday

Btw, I am available for face-spitting appointments. Negotiable prices, all reasonable offers considered.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:57 PM

It's amazing how people continually to insist on answering only the precise question, rather than addressing the underlying issue which these silly specific questions are meant to introduce.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:58 PM

okay, how does this relate to Brandi? I have alot of guesses..
Old 06-10-2007, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's amazing how people continually to insist on answering only the precise question, rather than addressing the underlying issue which these silly specific questions are meant to introduce.

[/ QUOTE ]

Such as, is pride the single most important thing in your life? Well, thats just an amazingly interesting question! The answer is, of course it isn't. Pride and ego are designed to serve a purpose, and in this case, they would be grossly inappropriate. The reason? Only your boss and you will ever find out. Pride and ego are to encourage other people not to take advantage of you. By making a big show of indignation and making it well known you will not stand for any slight, you force others to deal with you more honestly and respectfully. In this case, shutting up is win-win, because who cares if he spits on you. Lots of people have far worse, more humiliating jobs than this, and the only reason they suffer because of it is because they think other people will find out.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Such as, is pride the single most important thing in your life? Well, thats just an amazingly interesting question! The answer is, of course it isn't. Pride and ego are designed to serve a purpose, and in this case, they would be grossly inappropriate. The reason? Only your boss and you will ever find out. Pride and ego are to encourage other people not to take advantage of you. By making a big show of indignation and making it well known you will not stand for any slight, you force others to deal with you more honestly and respectfully. In this case, shutting up is win-win, because who cares if he spits on you. Lots of people have far worse, more humiliating jobs than this, and the only reason they suffer because of it is because they think other people will find out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. Some times you have to clean toilets.
Thinking of this as "nobody should spit in my face" is reducing complex issues to black-white one facet situations. That's the error the absolute morality types make. Every situation has a bizzillion things to weigh and to pick just one and say ' X can't be allowed' or 'Y must occur' is infantile.

luckyme
Old 06-10-2007, 06:20 PM

So would you switch your answer if other people did know about it?
Old 06-10-2007, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So would you switch your answer if other people did know about it?

[/ QUOTE ]

It would make it a much more difficult call. I'm not willing to sacrifice everything in my life for the well-being of my parents, most likely, although my parents aren't that old and are well-off so I don't know for sure. That means I am not willing to subject myself to a lifetime of victimization and abuse simply so they could live comfortably. If it gets around that I'm the type of guy who you can just spit in his face and he won't do anything about it, my future prospects take a big hit. Is it a big enough hit to tip the scales? Hard to say....probably not. But maybe. The best I can do is lay out the factors that would influence my decision, both objective and subjective, and then assure you I'll let you know when the situation actually arises.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. Some times you have to clean toilets.
Thinking of this as "nobody should spit in my face" is reducing complex issues to black-white one facet situations. That's the error the absolute morality types make. Every situation has a bizzillion things to weigh and to pick just one and say ' X can't be allowed' or 'Y must occur' is infantile.

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not infantile. Its typical. Think of it from an evolutionary perspective: evolution cannot really program our brains to say "letting someone spit in your face is bad unless X" or something like that. Its impractical. Instead, it installs the program "Don't allow people to slight you" or some other, more general program, because its an effective, selected-for strategy. Then, we just sit back and wait for it to be misapplied, which is entirely inevitable.

I think that a great many of our deep-seated motivations and emotional responses are of the black/white, all-or-nothing variety for this reason, and it leads to a great deal of the suffering and misery in human interaction. Lots of people are able to sort of rise above this by thinking seriously about the implications of these motivations, what they are designed to do, and thus modifying their programming to invoke more accurate, appropriate responses. Absolutely fascinating, if you ask me.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This particular issue isn't that interesting to me. Everyone who has made compromise in their life has already been through it.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:43 PM

By an interesting coincidence, this past spring I walked away from a $300 a week consulting arrangement, a few hours of easy but mindless work but a lot of annoying nonsense accompanying it, because I decided I needed the money less than I needed to avoid the high blood pressure.

It DOES seem to be a metaphor for the more general question of doing any sort of non-ideal work for any fixed amount of money. My standards there have risen sharply over the past few years. I bet the answers to this question will correlate rather strongly with age of respondents.