Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2007, 06:50 PM

Default Re: First Posted Hand!

[ QUOTE ]
Pokey would you reraise pf?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. The only reraise that makes any sense would be a push, and against a push you're folding all hands that you beat and getting called by several hands that have you stomped into the ground. Swear, call, and play poker postflop with position.

[ QUOTE ]
I bet the turn for a couple reasons. To build the pot if I hit the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

The pot is already sizeable, and if you hit on the river you're still more likely than not to hit with a dirty out. Are you really going to be thrilled to see a Q on the board, giving you the ugly end of a one-card straight? Does hitting your set really cheer you up? How happy does the 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] make you? The pot is already at about 50 BBs, and I see no reason to try to milk it, given that there is no sidepot to compete for and that you won't necessarily recognize your gin card(s).

[ QUOTE ]
To have him fold Ax hands

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, he cold-called a three-bet preflop; just what Ax cards do you expect him to hold? AK might fold, but AQ has a straight draw (better than yours, no less), and AJ has you over a barrel. Folding AK out is possible, but only buys you four ours if SB has you beaten (which is entirely possible on this board). If your goal is to build a sidepot for yourself to win, I'd make a smaller bet -- $11 or so.

[ QUOTE ]
and to charge him for flushes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Charging draws makes sense if you think it's likely. In this case, I think it's not going to be common to see a draw in his hand, and I think that if he folds you don't really buy yourself much equity in the pot. Also, I don't see villain folding a 9, T, or J very often here, even while I don't see him betting a 9 or T very often. This bet could easily backfire on you.

[ QUOTE ]
I do see your point though.

[/ QUOTE ]

And, to be honest, I see yours. I don't think betting the turn is the worst move you could make, but in a protected pot I'd prefer a smaller bet if you think you could extract value from a player who is behind. With three overcards and facing a smooth-caller of a preflop reraise, I'm very hesitant to get too out of line with my 88. The worst possible scenario here would be a check-raise that forces us to fold, or a check-raise that forces us to call on pot odds or implied odds. You don't want to have to walk away from your draw in a big pot like this, and you also don't want to have to put your stack into play on a weak hand and weak draw. Take your infinite odds and hope to hit lucky on the river.