Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2007, 10:06 PM

Default Re: No state project

[ QUOTE ]
In most western nations (the only exception was the US) slavery was ended nonviolently, usually consisting of buying the slaves from the slaveowners and setting them free.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF? What are you talking about?
Old 06-08-2007, 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In most western nations (the only exception was the US) slavery was ended nonviolently, usually consisting of buying the slaves from the slaveowners and setting them free.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF? What are you talking about?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not sure about the specifics but slavery was indeed ended without civil wars or much violence in most every major nation that has ended slavery.

Buying slaves and setting them free, while I'm not sure how widespread was used throughout history.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would very much like to see this happen, and watch how it works or fails. Good luck in your endeavor, if you do end up trying it. (No sarcasm.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with Jogger, but I'll go one step further. I'll even pledge money to help out. The scientist in me is dying to give AC a shot, in whatever capacity is possible.

Cody
Old 06-09-2007, 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would very much like to see this happen, and watch how it works or fails. Good luck in your endeavor, if you do end up trying it. (No sarcasm.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with Jogger, but I'll go one step further. I'll even pledge money to help out. The scientist in me is dying to give AC a shot, in whatever capacity is possible.

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

The scientist in you should instantly recognize that any such "experiment" would be anything but scientific.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

The scientist in you should instantly recognize that any such "experiment" would be anything but scientific.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not outright. Certainly there exists oppertunity for just such an experiment with a reasonable chance of "fairness". It may not be as simple as buying Rhode Island, but there is plenty of land that even governments aren't getting any significant use out of. Buying that land could serve as a launching pad.

As for some of the issues mentioned above, AC doesn't inherently cause an influx of crime or anything else. I certainly think it's a likely outcome, but simply allowing everyone to make their own associations (especially with, in this case, the US government surrounding the land) in a controlled sample won't turn into "Mad Max".

Cody
Old 06-09-2007, 02:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, (sorry to reply twice), why would this experiment be any different then the "AC world" that you want. Are we talking about having to change everyone's minds again, or are you just refering to the land being in the US.

Does the US, as a superpower that's shown an interventionalist forign policy of late, have to dissolve, or can everyone else "go-AC" and the US remain?

Cody
Old 06-11-2007, 04:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Though becuase the drug war would still be in effect elsewhere the main exports would almost certainly be heroin pot etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe, but there's lots of countries around the world where people can do this type of thing.
[ QUOTE ]
Also with no extradition treaties it may become a hideout for all kinds of unsavory characters

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, perhaps courts and police could extradite violent criminals. People certainly wouldn't want them in the area.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Though becuase the drug war would still be in effect elsewhere the main exports would almost certainly be heroin pot etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe, but there's lots of countries around the world where people can do this type of thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed and they have the tendency to get invaded/infiltrated.
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Also with no extradition treaties it may become a hideout for all kinds of unsavory characters

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, perhaps courts and police could extradite violent criminals. People certainly wouldn't want them in the area.

[/ QUOTE ]

But if you extradite them to a particular state then you're recognizing the validity of that state to make requests of you.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:20 PM

40 years later the Hog Farm is still primarily an agricultural commune, despite infusions of capital from donations and movie deals. Love to see the "no state's" technology 40 years from now.