Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2007, 03:33 PM

Default Re: Poker Hedge Fund

[ QUOTE ]

if you have a bankroll of 500k you are making way way way more than 250k/year

[/ QUOTE ]

What ROI are average guys putting up online, I am not interested in the superstars, egos etc, if one took a group of guys who were in the $100-200k per year group and provided them an opportunity to bank 2-3 times that with zero risk, is that a profile they would be interested in. AT the really high levels, say the Benyamine / Townsend level there is so much variance we would have zero interest but at lower levels yes ??
Old 06-08-2007, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What ROI are average guys putting up online, I am not interested in the superstars, egos etc, if one took a group of guys who were in the $100-200k per year group and provided them an opportunity to bank 2-3 times that with zero risk, is that a profile they would be interested in. AT the really high levels, say the Benyamine / Townsend level there is so much variance we would have zero interest but at lower levels yes ??

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds like you don't really know what you're talking about.

Cash game profits typically aren't measured in ROI, but rather in $/100 hands. I'm not really sure what kind of standard deviation per hundred hands is normal, but to give you a rough idea of the numbers, most pretty good professionalish players at low/mid stakes make about 10 big blinds per hundred hands at NL and they require a bankroll of somewhere around 2,000 big blinds. In limit, they make about 2 big bets per hundred hands and require a bankroll of about 300. People who multitable get in like 400-1k hands/hour. People who are really good about double the numbers I gave for profit... probably a little less than that.

If you're really serious and legit about this, I'd be interested, both in playing and in helping you set this up. Obviously I really suspect this is a scam, so don't waste your time if you can't e-mail me from a hedge fund's e-mail.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, in theory, those type of players would jump at the chance. but the reason that they're not already making more is that these players simply aren't good enough, for various reasons (not just skill alone) to beat bigger levels. tilt, expenses, poor emotional control, etc and so on. if they had the means to play higher, they'd get eaten up by the already small player pool of very tough players playing 5/10 and 10/20 and 25/50nl.

i'd almost think your best bet would be to fund some guys who can play on the way easier to beat non-US sites. ROI would be way higher.

seems like something like this will be very very tough to manage from a logistics standpoint, though. and totally irrespective of the botting angle, of course, which would just destroy the whole idea
Old 06-08-2007, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think this is a yes but i feel confused...
how do you make money if you are paying people more than they are worth to you? (where their worth=what they make)

and if you are not paying them more than they are worth to you why would they do it?
Old 06-08-2007, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds too good to be true, usually is?

ditto what Noah said though. id be interested in hearing specifics..
Old 06-08-2007, 03:53 PM

Thanks, no not a scam but certainly not a done deal.

The background to this is detailed and boring but I was approached to find backing for 3 name pros for WPT and WSOP events, took that a few steps further, changed plans and then decided as per risk goes this concept makes more sense but

<font color="blue"> Please PM me and you can then google my background etc
</font>

Note - I know most of the big names (3 very well) and many cash pros I can fund with this but am more interested in the law of large numbers and on-line world for which I know zero except about the event risk involved

ROI is obviously an investment term, the concept here is more what cut-off point do poker players (lets face it traders and hot shot poker players are an arrogant bunch) get past the ego point to the safety point,

That is how much per annum do they need to make doing things exactly the same way they are now except have their risk transferred to somoeone else.

NOTE - we do not want to make more than 9-10% pa based on cash at around 6% globally (US$ terms), so the game we are playing is one of low variance..

PEOPLE paid on performance basis and management fee basis (as the fund is also paid this it is an easy concept to understand, you make X profit and you get paid a % of X)

and if anyone has done this before and been scammed then that is sad and shows the structure was probably very poor
Old 06-08-2007, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

yes, in theory, those type of players would jump at the chance. but the reason that they're not already making more is that these players simply aren't good enough, for various reasons (not just skill alone) to beat bigger levels. tilt, expenses, poor emotional control, etc and so on. if they had the means to play higher, they'd get eaten up by the already small player pool of very tough players playing 5/10 and 10/20 and 25/50nl.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, there is definitely a pretty biggish group of players playing crushing NL100-NL400 that could presumably do pretty well or even very well at 5/10 or 10/20 or whatever.

I agree with you that many of them may have trouble playing with larger amounts of money, and obviously it would be a total logistical nightmare to weed them out. Plus, like I said before, I think it's really hard for even good poker players to identify other good poker players without a good amount of information.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:58 PM

This would never work on a large scale. Too much opportunity for scamming, and virtually no incentive for winning players to take less money. IF you go public with this, you would get losing players and scammers on your team.

This is not to say there are no good opportunities for backing /staking. To make money like this, you need to identify a player who is +EV in a game, yet for lack of bankroll or risktolerance can't play in it on their own. These are hard to find, and if you aren't a pro poker player, you wouldn't spot one if it was right in front of you.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:03 PM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 06-08-2007, 04:06 PM

1. I don't think you will find enough long-term winning players that will give up a chunk of their profits to investors.

2. How are you going to protect yourself against getting cheated (such as by chip-dumping)?