Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2007, 09:03 AM

Default Re: Good idea or bad idea?

If you do this, clear it with the principle first. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

<font color="white">Please to be appreciating my misuse of principle here. </font>
Old 06-08-2007, 09:14 AM

A site highlighting recent controversies surrounding use of the word "niggardly."

Avoid at all cost if you want to keep your job.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know what you're trying to do, but that's just asking for it. Sometimes it's best not to kick a sleeping Rotweiller, even if it did pee on the carpet.

[/ QUOTE ]

100% correct.

Ahh... to be young and have the desire to just be right even if it means completely screwing yourself.

Here's the deal! Right or wrong doesn't matter here. You are tilting at windmills and it will do YOU no good. There has got to be about 10,000,000 other things you can do to inspire young High School minds other than this.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:31 AM

[img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

It appears that I thought it meant something else than it meant. (FWIW, I thought it meant lazy, not stingy.) Wow...that's embarrassing. I guess better here than a classroom, though.

Well, I think everyone got the intent, anyway...and yes, I would be just trying to prove a point. Sorry for the waste of everyone's time.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

It appears that I thought it meant something else than it meant. (FWIW, I thought it meant lazy, not stingy.) Wow...that's embarrassing. I guess better here than a classroom, though.

Well, I think everyone got the intent, anyway...and yes, I would be just trying to prove a point. Sorry for the waste of everyone's time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a waste of time....but, good God, man!!??

Fortunately you checked here first, because an English teacher not knowing the correct definition of a word and then misusing it as an example to make a point would be utterly disastrous.

By the way, I happen to disagree with most of the others in this thread about what you want to do.

Set up and delivered with some serious forethought it could be an enlightening experience for your students.

I would suggest that you search for other such 'miscast' words and include niggardly amongst them to diminish its' effect as a stand-alone object lesson.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:33 PM

nigaritis is the word that means lazy - not sure of the spelling - slang used amongst blacks to describe each other - and you would never get away with that one if you're white