Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2007, 08:22 PM

Default Re: Youngest Video Game Pro

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
People's obsession with having their children excel at [anything] from rediculously young ages is a great way to ensure the child has a high probability of ending up in a [censored] up life. Be it in music, gymnastics, chess, academics, videogames, whatever..

/rant

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats not a rant. Its the truth. All these young phenoms arent really phenoms in my opinion. They just have lousy parents who refuse to let the kids be kids. I am sure any kid can be trained to do anything at a young age if you pressure him hard enough. This kid is probably the weirdo at his school. I find it hard to believe that a kid that spends most of his time playing Halo with adults will have a lot of friends his age.

[/ QUOTE ]

dude this isn't one of those acrobatics shows you see in Disney World...I'm sure he probably isn't forced into playing video games by his parents
Old 06-07-2007, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
yeah....no you couldn't

[/ QUOTE ]

This kid wouldn't have a clue what he was doing against me. I'd beat his ass so bad at any game that he'd question his existence at the age of 9.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why don't you go get signed for 20k/yr + travel expenses?

(you're probably leveling, but if you're not....STFU)
Old 06-08-2007, 01:22 AM

this kid was way more badass 4 yrs ago when he was 5 or w/e
Old 06-08-2007, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
People's obsession with having their children excel at [anything] from rediculously young ages is a great way to ensure the child has a high probability of ending up in a [censored] up life. Be it in music, gymnastics, chess, academics, videogames, whatever..

/rant

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats not a rant. Its the truth. All these young phenoms arent really phenoms in my opinion. They just have lousy parents who refuse to let the kids be kids. I am sure any kid can be trained to do anything at a young age if you pressure him hard enough. This kid is probably the weirdo at his school. I find it hard to believe that a kid that spends most of his time playing Halo with adults will have a lot of friends his age.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's playing videogames! Half the 9 year old boys his age play as much videogames as he does.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:30 PM

I really doubt the parents of this kid have done much of anything to mold him into a phenom.

Plus, the payoffs and opportunities for the video game phenom is on par with the crazy jack to be made if you were the proud father of the next child prodigy in competitive fiddling.

You'll find the obsessive parent freaks at the little league sports, beauty pageants, TV try outs, SAT prep classes, and american idol auditions.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
yeah....no you couldn't

[/ QUOTE ]

This kid wouldn't have a clue what he was doing against me. I'd beat his ass so bad at any game that he'd question his existence at the age of 9.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LEVELED
Old 06-08-2007, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really doubt the parents of this kid have done much of anything to mold him into a phenom.

Plus, the payoffs and opportunities for the video game phenom is on par with the crazy jack to be made if you were the proud father of the next child prodigy in competitive fiddling.

You'll find the obsessive parent freaks at the little league sports, beauty pageants, TV try outs, SAT prep classes, and american idol auditions.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not about the benjamins. It's about vicarious living. I doubt many people know about the exciting world of international chess competitions, but its one field notorious for every sap who couldn't make it on his own to start training their kid from day 1 to 'make it'.

Video games are very skill/learning based. It's not like the kid went to play Halo/Quake/whatever and was pleasantly suprised to find he was suddenly one of the best in the world. It requires dedication, work and time - lots of it.
Old 06-09-2007, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
yeah....no you couldn't

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LEVELED

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope I never get leveled by a guy who's leveling himself in his own Location...
Old 06-09-2007, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Video games are very skill/learning based. It's not like the kid went to play Halo/Quake/whatever and was pleasantly suprised to find he was suddenly one of the best in the world. It requires dedication, work and time - lots of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.

[ QUOTE ]
He's playing videogames! Half the 9 year old boys his age play as much videogames as he does.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know kids his age play video games, my nephews both hang out at my house and play video games all the time. The problem is that I dont stand behind them and tell them to try harder and to get better at the damn game already. I just let them play. They play 1 game for about 30 minutes then the fact that they are kids kicks in and they switch games. They arent dedicated enough to be really good at one game because I am not pressuring them and neither are their parents. I just let them play whatever game they want. This kid obviously played 10829130139198913192 hours of halo while being told to improve and how to improve. Thats the problem I have with this situation. His parents say they dont pressure him, but I dont buy that. Most kids dont play one game for 29389239719391391 hours non stop trying to find flaws in their game and improve their skills because they are [censored] kids. Normal kids dont think about that stuff. Its usually an adult in the background telling them to get better or crushing them without mercy and making fun of them, which is basically pressuring them to excel. I play video games with my nephews I beat them as well and I talk trash or whatever, but I dont make them think that if they cant beat me in this one video game they might as well quit at life because all there is to life is video games. They know im kidding around. Thats the difference.

Another possibility is that there was one xbox and the adult in the household only wanted to play halo so the kid had to play whatever the adult said.

The point is the parents are just like the little league dads. No parent ever admits they are pressuring their kid. They say stuff like, "Billy just realllllly loves [whatever activity the parent is obsessed with]." See below.

[ QUOTE ]
To critics who suggest that he is ruining Victor’s childhood, Mr. De Leon shrugs like his son, and notes that when not training for a specific competition, his Xbox time averages about two hours a day.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Before Victor enters a competition, his father said he always asks, “Do you want to do it?”

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-09-2007, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
yeah....no you couldn't

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If he made $20k/yr he'd probably have to kill himself.