Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2007, 12:49 AM

Default Re: Overcards out of position on drawy board

as a rule of thumb, cont bets must serve one of two purposes:

1)there must be at least a pot-proportional chance you can take the pot down with the bet.

-or-

2)there must be a pot-proportional chance you can win the hand either based on drawing equity or immediate value.

Your hand fails both tests in this hand, and it would continue to fail it if the 6 were a diamond.

As an easier rule of thumb, when you're in a multiway pot vs loose passive players - DONT BLUFF. just wait to make hands and bet for value.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:43 AM

Location: always C/Ring with 3 outs and usually getting there

Anyone care to respond to my point about raising if it checks to the button on the flop? I understand everyone's thoughts about the hand as played, but I feel more worthwhile discussion can come from this hand

and miles, what does the SOP part stand for?
Old 06-06-2007, 03:45 AM

Part of me doesnt want to help u because I always play with you and we clash a lot, (sorry about AK > KK suck out) [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

But this flop is flat out spew, how do you asses wheter to contiuation bet in multiway pots?

ask yourself:

1) How many players are there
2) Is the table loose or passive?
3) How coordinated/connected is the flop
4) is it a high flop or a low flop. Does this connect with my opponents range.
5) How likely am I to get raised

The answer to all of these questions is abysmal in this spot. Now once you get all those callers and button raises you are fuxored. 3-betting doesnt knock those players out very often, and button has you smoked a ton.

If you play a lot of multiway pots like this you my friend have a very serious leak.

edit: If it all checks to button and he bets, do not raise.
The reason is, someone has a hand just so often on a board like this, that your equity is horrible. Even if you manage to have the best hand right now. Chances are very high you wont by the end of the hand. Plus, buttons not leading with any two cards unless he's a moron. He should know his chances of taking this pot down are slim to none.

If button bets it's between calling and folding. If the other players were agressive id actually be more inclined to call (bceause they would likely bet after you checked with a pair). If they are passive, you are probabily drawing very slim and should likely fold.