Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2007, 06:09 PM

Default Re: Spots where calling with the nuts is correct on the flop?

Even if you only give one guy top set and one a flush draw with no straight redraw (which I think is the absolute bottom of their hand range), you're only a miniscule edge to win the pot. I'd like to keep the pot small and get it in with better equity, no?
Old 06-06-2007, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even if you only give one guy top set and one a flush draw with no straight redraw (which I think is the absolute bottom of their hand range), you're only a miniscule edge to win the pot. I'd like to keep the pot small and get it in with better equity, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

The absolute bottom is them both having sets and flush draws.

Pretty unlikely though.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:20 PM

it's already half stacks on flop just stick it in and be glad you got blockers. Playing this hand with more than 100bbs might allow for a flop call instead of making it all of it.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:03 PM

Oh, I ignored stack sizes. I'd lean more towards a call for 100BB, but I still think against non-maniacs you are not going to like your spot here.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, I ignored stack sizes. I'd lean more towards a call for 100BB, but I still think against non-maniacs you are not going to like your spot here.

[/ QUOTE ]

once 20-30% of your stack size is in there you've got to stick the rest of your stack in there ?

curious what % people think, 3 way on the flop.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The absolute bottom is them both having sets and flush draws.

Pretty unlikely though.

[/ QUOTE ]

this doesn't really make sense. them both having only sets leaves them in worse shape, for example, and if you are super lucky there might be 5 or 6 pairing cards gone already.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:36 PM

Fairly self-indulgent, I know, I posted this as a brag in the Low Content thread, but I think this serves as a fairly extreme, although not uncommon example of the sort of situation OP is talking about.

Here BB just flat calls the flop with the nuts. The action gets fairly crazy after me and SB go at it. This would be an obvious dump if you were BB, no? He ends up getting it in with us with 0% chance of winning and only 10% equity in the pot.

Poker Stars - Pot Limit Omaha Cash Game - $1/$2 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $207.00
BB: $200.00
UTG: $1,005.50
MP: $370.15
<font color="black">Hero (CO): $264.30</font>
BTN: $184.50

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (6 Players)
UTG calls $2.00, MP folds, Hero calls $2.00, BTN calls $2.00, SB calls $1.00, BB checks

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($10) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (5 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets $9.50</font>, BB calls $9.50, UTG folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $47.50</font>, BTN folds, <font color="red">SB raises to $161.50</font>, BB calls $152.00, <font color="red">Hero raises all-in to $262.30</font>, SB calls all-in for $43.50, BB calls all-in for $36.50
Uncalled bet of $57.30 returned to Hero

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($618) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 Players - 3 All-In)

<font color="black">River:</font> ($618) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 Players - 3 All-In)

Pot Size: $618.00 ($3 Rake)

BB had 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and LOST (-$200.00)
SB had K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ([Kd T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2d] (a flush, King high)) and LOST (-$207.00)
Hero had 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (a full house, Nines full of Fives) and WON (+$408.00)
Old 06-06-2007, 11:41 PM

Thats exactly the kind of spot I'm talking about. BB has the nut hand w/ absolutely no redraw, vs the same nut hands and fullhouse draws and flush draws. This is pretty extreme because both players have him killed, being up against 1 person with a redraw is bad enough..against two and its just horrible.

Sucks when you flop the nuts and are luky to get your money back.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:39 AM

Are you really that happy if a Q or J falls here?
Old 06-07-2007, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you really that happy if a Q or J falls here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny you ask...and no. It kills action I want, and brings action I don't want.