Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2007, 03:56 PM

Default Re: First shot at 15/30 this weekend. Tips/Strategy/Tricky Moves welcome..

another thing to watch for as you move up... don't judge players totally by their preflop standards. At the middle limits there are many players who play far too many hands but are otherwise pretty good players. They are often very good post flop. Don't make the mistake of thinking everyone who plays some weak hands up front is a total donkey.

The maniacs are also more dangerous as you move up. They are more observant and have a better sense of when their opponent is weak. If you appoint yourself as the guy who is going to punish their aggressive play it can be costly. Don't let them throw you off of your game.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:32 PM

Default Re: First shot at 15/30 this weekend. Tips/Strategy/Tricky Moves welcome..

emerson made a great point about preflop play, in the 15 and the 30 game there are various unplayable hands that make it in for 3 bets from some of the more skilled players who just lack the discipline to fold preflop
Old 06-06-2007, 04:57 PM

Default Re: First shot at 15/30 this weekend. Tips/Strategy/Tricky Moves welco

I say just play your same old game, observe your opponents, and take your time. Your winning ways at 8/16 should be enough to at least break even at 15-30. You can pick up all the tricky sh!t over time. Evolving is better than jumping into a higher game AND changing your style at the same time.

Play short sessions and quit if you hit a bad run so you can go home and chill out. Much better than tilting and losing a ton of money that you're not used to.

For me, I took my 8-16 game to 20-40 and won at first. Then I noticed all the laggy play (relatively speaking) and switched up my game, but changed too much and turned into a moron myself.

Good luck.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
another thing to watch for as you move up... don't judge players totally by their preflop standards. At the middle limits there are many players who play far too many hands but are otherwise pretty good players. They are often very good post flop. Don't make the mistake of thinking everyone who plays some weak hands up front is a total donkey.

[/ QUOTE ]

quoted for emphasis. this was the most valuable piece of information for me when i moved up.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:21 PM

Few things that I've learned in my first 50 or so hours playing the 15/30 games in LA:

1) Don't pay off a tight player. The game I play is typically quite loose, but there are a couple of players who are clearly rocks - not particularly good, just tight. When these guys raise you heads-up on the turn...fold unless you've really got it. Certain players have a very limited range given their action. Don't "reach" to convince yourself otherwise.

2) That being said, don't be afraid to call down. This is especially true in a big pot, and even more so when there's a big draw on the board that missed. You only need to be ahead a small percentage of the time to win in these situations, and mid-limit players love to bet light hoping to get a guy off a better hand. Obviously you want to pick your spots, but don't be that guy - folding a winner in a big pot is disastrous.

3) Have fun. Players in the mid-limit games tend to be wealthier and more "regular" if not necessarily nicer. You will get better action and find better profits if people enjoy playing with you. Go with the flow; don't coach, because you'll be seeing the same guys over and over and over again.

While those three tips are all fairly obvious, I think they're good to keep in mind so you don't outthink yourself in your shiny new limit. Personally, I have the most trouble with #1, but I'm learning to bet/fold against those two or three players. Let us know how it goes.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:23 PM

Jaroot,
How about an update?
How did it go and how did the 15/30 play compared to the 6/12 and 8/16 in your opinion?
Thanks
Old 06-12-2007, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jaroot,
How about an update?
How did it go and how did the 15/30 play compared to the 6/12 and 8/16 in your opinion?
Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't get a chance to play the 15/30 on Sunday. After I busted late in the $200 tournamnet (27th) - Only game w/ no waiting was 6/12 so I jumped in that since had a couple more hours to play after I busted. I'll probably hold off until later this month when I go back and have more time to play.