Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2007, 03:21 AM

Default Re: Roomate Rent/Ethics Question

his problem is that the rents overlap, right?

can the other/new guy move in early? if so, bingo bango, problem solved.

if not, help him find a sublettor for your place for 1 the one month? or the new place for one month, depending on what works better or is possible. i think subletting is the clear winner amongst options here. "he could have been more responsible housing" is kinda a lame assed thing to say. he obviously had to take in to account more than just dates (money, for one thing) when choosing when to move.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:35 AM

wtf, how is this your problem or any sort of ethical dilema? You handled the situation very maturely, you gave him plenty of time to find a new place, its not like he COULDNT find a new place to live where the rents dont overlap, its just the situation he CHOOSES to go into makes the rent overlap. So thats on him not you.

Your real question is "I feel bad cuz we kicked out a decent enough guy because we dont particularly like him. Should I saddle up $600 because I feel guilty?"
Old 06-04-2007, 03:48 AM

subletting for one month sounds pretty tough to do. I'd suck it up and pay (at least some %) since you kicked him out. You guys are acting like he made a bad decision to have rent overlap, however, he probably wants to live with a friend rather than some random person who happens to have the same rent scheme. I know if I wanted to find a friend to live with right now, it'd be basically impossible to find someone I know that would coincide with my rent schedule.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:53 AM

Ask him to find someone to live there for the month to pay rent. Or, you guys find someone for a month. If its not possible, ask him for half and split the rest with your other 2 roomies. I mean, if he's not there, you get a month with one less person, which is nice.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:24 PM

if the cash isn't a big deal to you, why not just tell him you'll take his portion of the security deposit?

Seems win/win, you get the security deposit from the new tennant to cover it, and you are just out like half a buy in for a month. If you want to be a good guy thats what I'd do. If you want to be a prick, prepare to get stiffed the money and have that happen anyway, but losing the possibilty that this guy will ever help you if you need it, and that you are a tool.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:52 PM

just pitch in for a lathe and call it even?
Old 06-05-2007, 04:51 AM

We had a talk today, we all decided that if we each paid 1/4 of his rent for the month, it would be a reasonable compromise. I feel pretty good about the whole thing in the end. thanks for the responses guys.